Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
new to the Quiltin Board >

new to the Quiltin Board

new to the Quiltin Board

Old 12-07-2006, 07:23 AM

Hi there, my name is Mary Anne, I live in south central Virginia, and I've been quilting for about 16 years. I broke my wrist in Sept. and am still going to Physical Therapy. So, no quilts this year but with all of the unfinished ones that are staring at me as I walk past the sewing room I am sure that Easter will be a quilty one.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Hi there! I'm from central VA. I know how you feel - I broke both humerus (sp) bones in 2005. I have rods in both arms now and the right arm functions really well. The breaks helped us find out about a blood cancer I've been treating for. I'm doing so much better I just recently started quilting again, getting my ufo's done, making a couple of baby quilts and loosening up my sewing abilities. Hope you're back in the saddle again soon.

Linda
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM

:lol:

Hi..I am new to quilting but managed to finish two double size quilts with plenty of help from the internet....
I am located in mexico and have two sons living in south virginia so I kind of related to your posting .....
Sorry about your health problems....I do hope you will be quilting a lot ...
I still can't really make up my mind which is the best machine to purchase......since I am not sure how long this bag lasts....lol
good luck
Ania
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Hello and welcome, Mary Anne. Sorry about your broken wrist. I hope it heals quickly for you.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM

Hi Ania, so glad to know the Quiltin Board is international. I have friends in Mexico. One lives in Mexico City and the other goes back home to southern Mexico each winter. What kind of machine are you thinking about purchasing? I love my Viking, such beautiful stitches. I also have 2 Singer Featherweights which were made in the 1940's. Although they are basic, they too have a beautiful straight stitch. The beauty of quilting is that you don't have to have a fancy machine. Some of the most beautiful quilts ever made were made on a treadle machine. I remember my grandmother sewing with hers. I'm new to the Quiltin Board too. So nice to meet you all here.

Linda
Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Hi Linda.....
The best part in Mexico (for me)..is the yucatan peninsula (merida, campeche)....If your friends goes there every winter..try to go with her...its a wonderful place (where the mayas piramids are)....
I am located 3 hours north from mexico city...
Thanks for the encouregment about the sewing machines....It is the most confusing part....I am quilting with the brother XR65....I am very happy with it...but the stitch is not as perfect...or may be I don't handle it correctly, and I do lack the extra space to my right...I also have an old Kenmore and this Xmes getting a brother serger ....
I was cheking the Juki...but there is also some brother PQ1500...but I am not sure if they make stippling???
ania
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Hi Ania! My friends live in a semi-mountainous area south of Mexico City by a couple of hours. They love how warm it is during our winter months. I'm not sure of the name of the area. They invited me to go with them sometime, but right now I don't have much immunity. Perhaps I will be able to go sometime in the future as my health continues to improve. Regarding the sewing machines, if you have stores available to you I'd try them out in the store. Take several types of things to practice on so you can see how they work, especially a small quilt block with batting and backing. Regarding your stitch, I've found the basics are
1. Change needle frequently.
2. Use only the best thread. My machine refuses to sew with ordinary thread but performs great with the good stuff.
I'm sure you already knew those things but thought I'd remind.

The Yucatan Peninsula is an amazing area. I've been to Cozamel once, got to do the tourist thing, riding horses. Had a great time, but I wish I had more time to explore and get to know the local people. Those I met were very friendly and helpful. I brought home some really great vanilla and Kalua. Very good memories.

Linda
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM

:D Hi Linda.....
There is a place called "cuernavaca" , its south of mexico city, not far away and the weather is warm in there all year round.....
As for Yucatan...I can tell you the people there are wonderful....I do have many friends there and I am really "hooked" on Merida.......
The "quilting world" is not popular in Mexico...I was so disapointed to find out, that they don't even sell quilting machines in the biggest Brother distribuiter store in Mexico city......They don't even carry the walking foot......
Thanks for your tips.....I did realize that the Gutterman thread performs better but there are no better threads in here...and the Gutterman that exist is not 100% cotton..... :cry:
I really do hope you will "ride the sadlle" very soon and visit Mexico again.........In the mean while..keep in touch with the quilting and with me...lol
ania
Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Hi Mary Anne
I am sorry in case me and Linda got too carried away, and invaded your space in here....
I am still not sure how to use this place....
Anyway...I really hope your wrist gets better and you will be able to quilt a lot ...
Are you somewhere close to Roanoke or Abingdon? Can you recommend me some quilting stores or places in there??? I am going to be there very soon....Last year they took me only to electronic departments...this year I know what my preiorities are......quilting...he he he