Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Newbie in North Carolina >

Newbie in North Carolina

Newbie in North Carolina

Old 12-31-2009, 08:13 AM

Hi! I'm Sharon and I have been hanging out reading posts on this board for months. I've learned a LOT and you guys gave me the inspiration and push I needed to finish my first quilt that I've been working on for over a year. I was hung up on the border. I quilted it to fleece rather than batting and cotton, and my daughter wanted a wide fleece border and I thought that was against the "rules." Reading many posts here, I've changed my thinking ... there aren't really rules, and I think of quilting more as my "art" than a formula I have to follow. It may not be a typical quilt, but it turned out great. I also placed buttons on it from my grandmother's button collection I inherited when she passed on over 20 years ago. I'll post a picture when I can.

I signed up today because I want to get in on a swap of Sunbonnet Sues I was just reading about. I'm not sure how swaps work but I'll ask the originator to fill me in.

I want to thank you all for sharing so much of your knowledge and tips and encouragement. I just know I'm going to love getting to know you better and absorbing and incorporating your tiips and help.

My big goal for now is to learn how to machine piece and possibly machine quilt. I am a cancer fighter/survivor and started a nonprofit that delivers sunshine boxes to first-time chemo patients (more info at www.fightingcancerinc.org, if you're interested). We always give them a blanket on day one because the lab is so chilly, and most of the time they get a plain old store-bought fleece, but we've had some women crochet beautiful afghans for them (there are pics on the website) and I'd like to be able to give them a quilt now and then. I think I'm going to do the Around the World pattern first. Anyone have any suggestions as to an easy pattern to learn machine quilting on?

Again ... I love this forum and thank you all for your inspiration and wonderful spirit of friendship I've already enjoyed even though not "officially" a member until today.

Sharon
Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM

Welcome to the Board from Southern California!
I think that it is a wonderful thing that you are doing and want to do!!
Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from an Iowa girl :lol: :lol: :lol: . I've seen several of your posts already! Hope to make a trip to Charlotte area this winter as S and DIL who are expecting their first just bought a house in your neck of the woods! Love what you are doing for cancer patients. A touch of warmth goes a long way.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 PM

Hi and welcome from OKlahoma.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome :D:D:D

Are you wanting to try free motion quilting or a stitch in the ditch? Some quilts I am doing, I do a decorative stitch in or along side the seamlines. You might want to post this question in the main section, you will get a lot more answers there :wink:
Old 01-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Banned

hello and welcome
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Alberta Canada!

There are a bunch of easy patterns that you can work with.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. What a wonderful cause you have.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM

Welcome from Oregon! That's a wonderful thing you are doing. Maybe you will start something new on the Board and some might donate quilts for the donation!