Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A newbie... sort of

A newbie... sort of

Hello. My name is Sue and I live in Frederick,CO
    I was looking for a chat room but stumbled on this instead. I used to belong to a chat room group back in 1995 when I first started quilting. I found that I was doing more chatting than quilting so I quit the chatting. However, I miss the connections.
    I was a prolific quilt piecer for many years until I had a failed cervical fusion in 2009, followed by a traumatic divorce. I've since moved out of Wyoming, back to Colorado and have been trying to find my passion again ever since. I'm hoping by reaching out and making connections with others, that I may find it. Any suggestions would be great.
    I'm in pain now if I piece too long so I've learned to take breaks. But, it's the getting started that is hard for me now. I just kind of hide in watching TV. It doesn't help that I haven't formed any friendships here, I'm sure. I don't really remember how anymore. So, I've joined some groups in hopes of making those connections.
    So I still have about 20 PHD's (projects half done - sounds better than WIP's lol) and more fabric then some stores. Not to mention patterns and books galore. Everything needed to succeed... But the drive.. Help! And thanks!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-03-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Power Poster
    ​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I hope you can dive in and complete one of your U.F.O. Pick one that won't take long to complete and soon you will get your sewjo back.

Welcome from Texas. You will love all the knowledge that floats around in this board. If you have any questions you will surely find an answer here. Sounds like you've made many quilt tops. Do you finish them into quilts? We love pictures here & would love to see some of your work. You will get lots of encouragement from quilters with various capabilities.

Blog Entries
    Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Welcome from Nevada. There is a thread on here for UFOs, (or whatever your chosen name). Perhaps you could pick one and challenge yourself to finishing and posting by date month. Happy quilting and my wish for you is a little bit of happy sewing time every day (perhaps even in front of the TV).

Someone help out here and post a link to that thread. I just go with the flow and wait for it to show up under what's new.

To help you find your "go", I've heard and read that setting a timer for 15/20 minutes for sewing, when it goes off, you go do something else, that just by doing that you'll soon find you're "go". I also wanted to welcome you.

Welcome from Oregon. I too, suffer from chronic pain and have to take breaks in order to sew. I find that if I spend my break time on the boards here, it ends up being a good balance.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    Welcome from Texas. I used to live in Broomfield, Colorado. moved back here two years ago. Miss that little City I can tell you. You can think of what is easiest of your things to finish. and where it will go when done. I give a lot away. and I too take breaks. my neck or back need to rest. I love my heating pad!! I am working on a small baby or child quilt at the moment. it was a test of quilt as I go using pre-marked batting. Not wonderful so far. Pop in here daily. it doesn't take that long. enjoy!!!

Hi and welcome from North Carolina. We are a very friendly bunch here. You'll make friends right away.

I'm a little old lady with a huge completely unorganized stash! I am making easy baby quilts now for donations... as fast as I can ... to use up some of this stash. They are small and quick to do and give the feeling of accomplishment when each is completed. Maybe if you do some small projects, you could get started with the quilting fever again.

Blog Entries
    welcome from Virginia A lot of us here are old and rickity with many pain flashes. Quilting and board visiting offers a great distraction and many rewards. Friends and smiles abound. Welcome.....Jane Q

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    A divorce can leave you reeling for a long time if you let it. I hope you have people to talk with. My daughter moved back home at 33 for 3 years and I didn’t get any sewing done at all during that time. In fact, I’m trying to get back to craving to quilt like I use to. I just started a star table runner. Am close to cutting out all the pieces for the blocks and sashings and binding. Hope I really follow thru. I’m in the same boat as you, I think. I will be your cheerleader and encourage you! Welcome to the best forum around. Jeanne from Oregon
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Welcome back to quilting. Have you checked locally for quilt guilds? Lots of them have sewing groups that visit and sew together. That might help you get started again.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Welcome from Long Island NY! I'm new here too. Haven't been sewing for too long but already lost my drive between life events. I join swaps to help push myself into sewing and I always feel accomplished. There are some nice swap groups here. Hope you get into the swing of it again

Welcome from Oklahoma. Be sure to show us some of your work.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Waving hello from Washington! I hope you like it here. Lots of friendly folks, and we can be your cheerleaders too! In dealing with pain issues, I find that working in small time frames helps me interested, and feeling good about getting in some sewing time. Hugs!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Hi Sue welcome waving from NE Ohio.

Power Poster
    Welcome.

It can take a while to "recover" - seems like you have a lot of "recovering" to do.

You will get it back. I was attacked by several life tornados that kept me out of my room for 2 years. Months after the actual storms settled, Without thinking about it i started “itching” I even told my daughter “I'm itching to go back in my sewing room”. The itch came back without me even thinking about it! I went in my room, cleaned organized and have been in it almost everyday since. When you’re ready, you’ll get your mojo back.

Hi Suz. So glad you stumbled into us!

I had a huge mojo problem before finding the QB. I just started lurking, reading and drooling over all the awesome work that everyone was posting here in pictures. That got me inspired.

I wanted to join in the fun. Got my mojo back, but...beware...All these people are pretty great! It's easy to spend Way too much time here visiting, looking, reading, learning...

Hi Sue, welcome to the board!
    It sounds like you've had your share. Hope the future is much brighter for you.
    I know what you mean about chatting too much online. I sometimes stay on this board longer than I probably should so I can get more sewing done! There is so much to read about here but I'm getting better at popping in and out and getting more actual sewing accomplished

Another hello from Washington, I'm on the wet side of the mountains

I was a busy internet quilter around '95-Y2k and then started online gaming (dungeons and dragons and stuff like that, not like poker). Recently I stopped the gaming and found my old sites were all pretty much gone but I found this one and am getting my quilting mojo back looking at the lovely projects people are working on. Drool, true quilt envy every day!

I have a number of physical issues plus vision loss to deal with, but playing with my fabrics is so pleasant and soothing that sometimes I have to set a timer to remind me to stop or yes, I too pay the price. In my house we call it being "crunkled" when you can't stand up or move well due to your own decisions. Mostly what I do is play music or the TV and get up and change tasks/positions at least every half hour whenever the show/music ends.

If you can find a guild or small group to join that can be very helpful. The downside to that as I found that while I was a very happy solo quilter for decades after joining a guild and sewing with others it was hard to going solo again. But here we are at least a virtual group with opinions and hints and sharing of fabric and/or stories. Recently a lady I used to be in a small group with 10-15 years ago invited me to join her current group, it's very small -- 5 when we are all there and usually 3-4, but it's every Tuesday, 10-noon and so it gives me motivation/deadline to have something to take with me to work on that week. My hope is to get some of my completed tops quilted down and bring them to group for the hand sewing of the bindings, I'm not a good or fast hand sewing and it takes me forever, but forever doesn't seem so long when you are chatting with others.

Welcome from Michigan!

Welcome from Alaska!

Hi Suz! Welcome from Minnesota - we appear to have a lot in common. I was lucky to have a successful cervical fusion and woke up from the surgery kicking myself that I had lived with pain for so long. Hoping that you find some relief. With regard to your divorce, I found it helpful to read some books on grief. Wishing you all the best - an open and friendly attitude will help you to find friends in your new location. Good luck!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Welcome from Maryland, on what I like to call "the right coast" We all go through phases of losing our drive, and particularly when life has thrown us a curveball.

My advice for jumping in here, since you have so much fabric, is to join a swap. Look on the home page for "swaps" and read through them. Some are simple, one-time commitments, others are year long.

I would also say to think about where you could donate a much needed comfort quilt. Pick something close to your heart, whether it be a women's shelter, hospital NICU, a pregnancy center, a social worker who has the awful job of taking kids out of home quickly, usually with nothing but the clothes on their back. A quilt can be of such tangible comfort. I find it gets me out of a funk to give something away.