Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
A newbie... sort of >

A newbie... sort of

A newbie... sort of

Old 07-03-2018, 10:42 AM

Default A newbie... sort of

Hello. My name is Sue and I live in Frederick,CO
I was looking for a chat room but stumbled on this instead. I used to belong to a chat room group back in 1995 when I first started quilting. I found that I was doing more chatting than quilting so I quit the chatting. However, I miss the connections.
I was a prolific quilt piecer for many years until I had a failed cervical fusion in 2009, followed by a traumatic divorce. I've since moved out of Wyoming, back to Colorado and have been trying to find my passion again ever since. I'm hoping by reaching out and making connections with others, that I may find it. Any suggestions would be great.
I'm in pain now if I piece too long so I've learned to take breaks. But, it's the getting started that is hard for me now. I just kind of hide in watching TV. It doesn't help that I haven't formed any friendships here, I'm sure. I don't really remember how anymore. So, I've joined some groups in hopes of making those connections.
So I still have about 20 PHD's (projects half done - sounds better than WIP's lol) and more fabric then some stores. Not to mention patterns and books galore. Everything needed to succeed... But the drive.. Help! And thanks!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-03-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I hope you can dive in and complete one of your U.F.O. Pick one that won't take long to complete and soon you will get your sewjo back.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Welcome from Texas. You will love all the knowledge that floats around in this board. If you have any questions you will surely find an answer here. Sounds like you've made many quilt tops. Do you finish them into quilts? We love pictures here & would love to see some of your work. You will get lots of encouragement from quilters with various capabilities.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 07-03-2018, 03:15 PM

Welcome from Nevada. There is a thread on here for UFOs, (or whatever your chosen name). Perhaps you could pick one and challenge yourself to finishing and posting by date month. Happy quilting and my wish for you is a little bit of happy sewing time every day (perhaps even in front of the TV).

Someone help out here and post a link to that thread. I just go with the flow and wait for it to show up under what's new.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:13 PM

To help you find your "go", I've heard and read that setting a timer for 15/20 minutes for sewing, when it goes off, you go do something else, that just by doing that you'll soon find you're "go". I also wanted to welcome you.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:59 PM

Welcome from Oregon. I too, suffer from chronic pain and have to take breaks in order to sew. I find that if I spend my break time on the boards here, it ends up being a good balance.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Texas. I used to live in Broomfield, Colorado. moved back here two years ago. Miss that little City I can tell you. You can think of what is easiest of your things to finish. and where it will go when done. I give a lot away. and I too take breaks. my neck or back need to rest. I love my heating pad!! I am working on a small baby or child quilt at the moment. it was a test of quilt as I go using pre-marked batting. Not wonderful so far. Pop in here daily. it doesn't take that long. enjoy!!!
Old 07-03-2018, 06:03 PM

Hi and welcome from North Carolina. We are a very friendly bunch here. You'll make friends right away.

I'm a little old lady with a huge completely unorganized stash! I am making easy baby quilts now for donations... as fast as I can ... to use up some of this stash. They are small and quick to do and give the feeling of accomplishment when each is completed. Maybe if you do some small projects, you could get started with the quilting fever again.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:11 PM

welcome from Virginia A lot of us here are old and rickity with many pain flashes. Quilting and board visiting offers a great distraction and many rewards. Friends and smiles abound. Welcome.....Jane Q