Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello all........Are guys welcome here ???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-all-guys-welcome-here-t215092.html)

Wardy74 02-28-2013 01:41 PM

Welcome from the uk. Good for you quilting. Your quilt is beautiful. My dear chap does not quilt but he is very encouraging and built me a quilting cabin in the garden. I think it was a ploy to evict me from the house, so he the dog and my two boys can have the house as a batchelor pad. I think you will enjoy it here. It is really friendly.

jan

Jo M 02-28-2013 01:53 PM

Welcome, Randy! You've sure done some nice work and have a good eye for color.

BTW I've been bitten by the Batik Bug too...love all of 'em.

Vanuatu Jill 02-28-2013 02:04 PM

Hi Randy! Welcome to the board from Southern California!! It so nice to see a guy interested in quilting/fabric art etc, after all, some women like working on cars, construction, driving busses, in law enforcement, and in the military! Why not a man who discovers the benefits, enjoyment, and therapy of quilting? I wish my hubby would! The closest he comes is dropping me off at the fabric store while he makes himself busy elsewhere, and occasionally, helps me fold LOOOONG pieces of fabric after washing and drying!! Glad to have you with us!!!

saperry 02-28-2013 02:42 PM

Yes! We accept anyone that wishes to quilt. Man, woman, child. You'll love this board. It's very friendly and helpful. Good luck with your stitches.

Totally Straight 02-28-2013 02:53 PM

I'm also finding I enjoy the piecing portion of making a quilt alot more than actually doing the last step of quilting. Is this unusual ??????

Vanuatu Jill 02-28-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Totally Straight (Post 5895092)
I'm also finding I enjoy the piecing portion of making a quilt alot more than actually doing the last step of quilting. Is this unusual ??????

The friend I took my first class from also loved the creative piecing steps best, but I always liked the hand quilting part best. After over 30 + quilts, I now love the picking fabrics, cutting and piecing processes, and having someone else LA quilt it! It allows me to make more quilts in a shorter period. I still have a hand-quilting project going all the tme, though. Before, I only made one at a time, start to last stitch on the binding and label, before I started another, so it would be months before I started another one. Also, making purses and totes allows me to use many more fabrics, and finish a project quickly, allowing me to go on to another with a new set of fabrics. Many people use the services of a LA quilter instead of doing it themselves.

JaniceP 02-28-2013 03:23 PM

Looks like you are off to a great start! I love the colors in the quilt on the bed it's beautiful as well as everything else you've done so far. Welcome from Michigan!

amyjo 02-28-2013 03:29 PM

Welcome from North Dakota. There are lots of guys out there who quilt. Beware this site is addictive. So is getting a fabric stash and collecting vintage machines. There are some lovely ones on board.

jrhboxers 02-28-2013 03:29 PM

Welcome Randy!!! There are a few other guys on here and you are most welcome to join in.

Beautiful work - better than anything I did at the beginning. Most of my early stuff became dog beds. So come on in and don't be shy. Comment, ask questions and just belong. Much better to be a participant than a lurker.

LOVE the nickname btw.

jrhboxers 02-28-2013 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Totally Straight (Post 5895092)

No, this is not unusual. I go through phases were I enjoy the planning and collecting of fabrics the most, but I always enjoy the piecing.

Besides if everyone LOVE the 'last part', there would be no market for Longarmers!!!!!