Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hi from Scotland! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hi-scotland-t34573.html)

jewelps 01-19-2010 05:53 PM

Welcome from Missouri USA glad to have you, there are a lot of wonderful people on this site, i love it

Shemjo 01-19-2010 06:06 PM

Hello, and welcome from Missouri!

mountain-moma 01-19-2010 06:06 PM

Welcome aborad Mishi, so glad u joined i'm sure u will love it here they are the most Caring and Helpful folks here

Mishi 01-20-2010 04:36 AM

Thanks very much for the kind welcomes, everyone!

I've never actually been to Aberdeen before - I live in the central belt area (near to Edinburgh and Glasgow). Aberdeen's a couple of hours drive away, so it's not too far :). I'd like to try a swap sometime - they sound interesting. I think I'll try to get some practice before I start signing up though!

I've just had a friend very kindly offer to lend me their sewing machine for a little while until I get my own, so I have something to learn and practice machine piecing on. Think I'll be taking a trip to the LQS this weekend to pick up some rotary cutting equipment! :)

gaigai 01-20-2010 04:41 AM

Welcome from Texas!

My dog's first mommy lives in Scotland. The dog's name is Guinness!! LOL I got her when they moved over there. Scotland is one of the places that I most want to visit.

This is a great group, and you're going to love it here. Be sure and post photos of your quilt.

QBeth 01-20-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mishi
I've just had a friend very kindly offer to lend me their sewing machine for a little while until I get my own, so I have something to learn and practice machine piecing on. Think I'll be taking a trip to the LQS this weekend to pick up some rotary cutting equipment! :)

Welcome aboard, Mishi, from New Hampshire, USA. Fortune smiled and I was able to visit Scotland a few years back. Beautiful country!! And some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Just wanted to point out that there's a Search feature that you can use to look up information from various threads. In fact, in response to a newbie's question, there was a recent thread on rotary cutters, self-healing mats, rulers, and scissors you might want to check out before shopping. There's also more than one post on quilting acronyms; very valuable!

Best of luck! Don't get discouraged; remember that quilting is supposed to be FUN! Best of all, you don't need a fancy machine, just one that can sew in a straight line will get most things done!

Bevanger 01-20-2010 07:30 AM

Hello & Welcome :-D

Honey 01-20-2010 04:12 PM

Welcome from Central Wisconsin. You will love all the things you can learn from this board.

Mishi 01-20-2010 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Just wanted to point out that there's a Search feature that you can use to look up information from various threads. In fact, in response to a newbie's question, there was a recent thread on rotary cutters, self-healing mats, rulers, and scissors you might want to check out before shopping. There's also more than one post on quilting acronyms; very valuable!

I'll certainly look that up before I go! I think I'm going to be looking to get a 18x24 mat and a 6x24 ruler - it seems like if you're going to get one of each to start with, then those are the best sizes.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip here! :)

SazuBMidlands 01-21-2010 12:09 AM

Hi Mishi, from England!

I'm 27 and live in Shropshire. I've visited Scotland a couple of times and really enjoyed it :-)

I've got a 6x24 ruler and 18x24 mat which are very useful for cutting up any size of fabric on. I also have a 12x18 mat and 12x6 rules that I use a lot too.

This board is full of great advice, so if you're not sure about anything just ask. I join in on a few of the swaps and although I generally have to plan to finish things a little before the deadline to allow for posting its never been a problem.

Sarah