Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   tied quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/tied-quilts-t730.html)

kathy 03-10-2007 05:25 AM

Hi Judy and welcome. My mother made 2 baby yo-yo quilts so I'm impressed with your 9, like you she made a few each nite while watching TV and before you know it, you have them all done and ready to put together. She sewed hers to a flannel backing after they were all together so it could be washed in the machine on the gentle cycle. We look forward to your pictures.

june6995 03-10-2007 06:24 AM

Judy.....thanks for bringing up the tied quilts. I attended a sewing group at church a few years back, where they were making lap robes for nursing homes. Some of the women "tied" them with donated yarn. I took my sewing machine and made one that I tacked with a snowflake-like stitch.
They loved it and asked me to do most of them as it freed up time for other things.

From that, I got the idea that if I made a quilt, I could do the same type of tacking on my machine, and not "machine quilt" the whole thing. As a result, the first 6 or 8 quilts I made, I tacked. But I want to learn to machine quilt and my current project is destined to be my "experimental project."

Quilts, I think, can be tacked, or tied or quilted. Whatever works for holding them together and keeps the batting from shifting.

Thanks fo sharing your experience in that area. And, I agree wtih everyone else, 9 YoYo quilts is quite an accomplishment.

Give us some more of your expereince and wisdom please. June

Yvonne 03-10-2007 07:38 AM

Judy,
Glad you joined our merry little group here.

I have made a yo-yo quilt also. When I was 15 or so, my Great Auntie Pearl asked if I'd like to finish a yo-yo quilt that she had started. It was about 1/4 done. I said sure. I was young and had no idea what I was getting into. Well, by my senior year in high school I'd finished the yo-yos and tacked (tied) them to a sheet for added stability. I still have my quilt and use it on the guest room bed. This was my very first quilt and now 45+ years later I'm a 'quilt-a-holic' :!:

Yo-yos are a great project for you hand quilters that quilt on the go. :wink:

june6995 03-10-2007 10:02 AM

I was prompted to ask this question when Yvonne said she tacked her YoYo quilt to a sheet. Is there any Other way to finish a YoYo quilt? I have never really seen a lot of them and don't know how they are finished.

Nearly 50 years ago my Mother died and left behind a box full of hand made YoYos. One of her sisters gave me a box with the YoYo quilt put together in color block fashion and hand sewn to a sheet. I have often wondered what else can be done with them. They seem to fragile to use on a bed, as eventaul washing would be difficult unless it was put into a mesh bag to launder.

I will say that I knew a very stylish lady who wore a lot of clothing that her clever sister made for her. One of the most striking items she wore was a sage green (solid color) long vest/jacket that tied in the front. It was absolutely stunning. Has anyone made clothing out of YoYos?

What sort of suggestions do you all have for this type quilt? I would really like some idea of how I can use it, rather than store it in a box.

Thanks........June

STEPH'S MOM 04-04-2007 04:59 PM

Judy,
I too have made 9 yoyo quilts and am working on my tenth. The only problem I have is I don't have a single one to show! I have given all nine away. Have you ever quilted one? I am wanting to try that but I can't seem to figure out the best way to go about it. Do you have any suggestions?

rvquilter 04-05-2007 10:29 AM

Hi Judy and welcome. I like to tie my quilts also. I am still a newbie at quilting but I like the big fat quilts so I gues that is why I tie instead of quilt them. I am making one right now for my son to take to college.

june6995 04-05-2007 11:13 AM

Vicky, please tell me what batting you use to accomplish a big fat quilt. I too like those when tied or tacked. I tacked quilts for a long time before I realized I might be able to do them on my machine. I am now exploring the idea of using a quilt frame (of some variety) that will allow me to get my 3 layers together without a lot of wrinkles. I am never too old to learn and I am learning a lot from younger women. This is good. Many thanks to all the women here who eagerly share their experiences.

June

PJ 04-05-2007 12:37 PM

I want to know what and how you tied your quilt with. Also what size needle. I am looking to tie the back of this quilt I am finishing and don't quite know how to do it. Thanks

rvquilter 04-05-2007 06:23 PM

I use variegated yarn to tie them a lot and just use a needle with a big enough eye. I use the thick cheapie batting you can get at Ben Franklin's. It is only 2.99 a yard. They are closing here though and I got 10 yards last week for 1.99 a yard. They do have some nice frames. I have been looking at one that costs $599. It is the kind that you use your own sewing machine with to turn it into a longarm quilter. I am still learning to ladies. :}

PJ 04-05-2007 07:05 PM

That's what I thought, but I wanted to check. Thanks