Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Total newb from Texas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/total-newb-texas-t263457.html)

Pin Cushion 04-01-2015 01:47 PM

Total newb from Texas

I inherited my sewing machine from my grandmother about 11 years ago. It's a New Home (Janome) 445. I'm guessing it's a '60s vintage judging by the 2 pin plug and all metal construction. I'm considering taking up quilting. It looks interesting and only moderately expensive. My mom will retire in September and she will have more time to help me. She may pick it back up herself. She recently bought new computerized machine. I think she would be excited to teach me. (She had all boys.)

I'm going to lurk awhile and see if I can work up the knowledge and courage to start a project. I have some simple (but large) ideas in mind. Right now, I'm in the "clean and lube the machine and learn how it works" phase. I downloaded the owner's manual and am self teaching until I get a chance to pick Mom's brain. Wife doesn't sew. Any basic tutorial videos would be appreciated.

If you can't already tell, I'm a guy. I'm happily married with 3 sons. The oldest is in the USAF. I'm a field engineer and repair emergency power equipment for a living. I'll keep my macho attitude in check and remember that for a while, I am the dumbest person here.

Tartan 04-01-2015 02:12 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. There are great youtube videos to learn quilting from. One of my favourites is done by Jenny Doan for the Missouri Stár Quilt co. We have several guy members on QB and you'll fit right in.

Neesie 04-01-2015 03:23 PM

Welcome! This is a wonderful place for learning. :)

janceejan 04-01-2015 04:59 PM

Welcome. What part of Texas?

djmat 04-01-2015 05:16 PM

Howdy from Oklahoma! Native Texan spoken here. Remember - Google can be your friend, Youtube wants to be your teacher, and Quilting Board is your superintendent of education for quilting endeavors! Welcome to the Board.
Gig 'em
DJ (a lady)

Pin Cushion 04-01-2015 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I love 30 minutes South of Dallas.

barny 04-01-2015 05:47 PM

Hello and welcome from Dallas area. You'll love it on here. We have really good people. If you have questions on quilting, just ask, someone will be on here to answer you.

goldsberry921 04-01-2015 06:38 PM

Welcome to quiltboard family! Awesome group and helpful too!! Look forward to seeing more posts from you.
I'm originally from Plano, live in Round Rock now. So welcome from a fellow Texan!!

hoprigmom 04-01-2015 07:39 PM

Welcome from NW Iowa! You are certainly not the dumbest person on here. We all have times we do some "dumb" things. You will enjoy the Quilting Board. Great people on here.

lfstamper 04-01-2015 07:43 PM

Welcome from Keller, TX! Lots of help on you tube or take a class! So much to learn here too. Check out the tutorials.