Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Thrilled to Join you! >

Thrilled to Join you!

Thrilled to Join you!

Old 06-23-2016, 09:06 AM

Default Thrilled to Join you!

After following posts daily for a while, I decided I should register and participate in this forum. I am really not much of a joiner, but I couldn't resist the sage advice and gentle spirit of this group. I already have learned several useful tips from the experienced members of this group. Today, I joined.

Although I have been a serious seamstress (sewist is the modern term) for 57 years I have only been quilting for a few months. I always wanted to learn to quilt. Both of my grandmothers quilted, and I always wanted to. After retiring, I bought a book and made my first quilt---I am forever hooked!!

Like everything I do, I kind of set a framework for my quilting. I am concerned about the environment and have always cherished my grandmothers' scrap quilts, therefore I have committed to reuse whatever I can whenever I can in my quilts. Re-purposing fabric is really exciting for me because it stretches my own creativity, lowers my costs, triggers innovation, and benefits the environment by converting wasted, unwanted fabric to something useful and beautiful. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could convert everything unwanted into something so beautiful and useful as a quilt?

I'm somewhat interested in vintage machines, too. My oldest machine is a Singer treadle my son bought for me when he was a teenager because he knew I had always missed the treadle I had learned on. I also have a pristine Singer Featherweight (circa 1941)with absolutely every original accessory in perfect condition that my mother made my own baby clothes on. My first big investment was in the late 60's when I purchased my Elna Super, and every available cam, That machine has more miles on it than the B&O Railroad and still runs like a dream. I also have a smooth running Elna 3007. I love my Janome 9500 because it opened up a world of embroidery. Most recently, I acquired a Juki 2010Q for my quilting. My Huskavarna 1001 and White 2900 sergers complete my collection. I love them all!

I look forward to learning from this knowledgeable group and participating with others who share my interests.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from HOT Southern California. I made the transition from sewing clothes to quilting about 30 years ago. I hope you get the great inspiration that I find here on the board.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

​Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:55 PM

I, too, sewed for many years, even making my wedding dress 39 years ago. I hoped to be able to sew for little girls, but alas, the Lord saw fit to give me boys, so my sewing ended. I started quilting when I retired from teaching a few years ago, although I have done very little in the past couple of years because of surgeries and other health issues. Welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC. As you have already discovered, you will learn many things on this site from some talented quilters.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Welcome from the southern tip of Nevada. I know you'll enjoy the eye candy and the tips and tricks are great. I've sewed for a long time too and still learn things that make sewing/quilting easier. Basically I'm a self taught quilter with quilting board taught finishing touches. Happy quilting!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 PM

Welcome from Ft. Myers, FL. I've been sewing for 50+ years . I do alterations, sew for my grandkids (have a 9 month old granddaughter) and I quilt when ever I get the time. I'm planning on doing a lot more quilting once we get moved into our new house...half the size we live in now. I learned to sew on my Mom's Singer treadle making doll clothes.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:26 PM

Welcome from virginia
Old 06-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board, from Mississippi!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Welcome from Florida. You will spend many enjoyable hours on this board.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 PM

Welcome from Arizona! Looking forward to seeing your projects.