Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Trouble just finds me >

Trouble just finds me

Trouble just finds me

Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 AM

Welcome from North Central PA.

My first Bernina (got it July 09) was a 440QE and I loved it! Got it used for a good price. Traded up to a 730 E in March and got exactly what I paid for it on trade in. In my experience they are great machines.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by jennybean
Hello everyone my name is Jan. I'm still pretty new at quilting. I've been trying it my way for about 10 years now but, I've learned that my way is not really the right way. I don't have a big expensive sewing machine it's a Brother xl3500 only thing I could afford at the time, although I am looking to upgrade. I had my eye on a Bernina 440 quantram. I want so bad to stipple or free motion but, I can't seem to get my machine to work with me. I can't seem to understand the concept of getting that big quilt in that little space and move it at the same time. My arm and neck are killing me trying to work it. Looking for some input! Help me I'm in trouble.
Took a class last weekend and a lot of the gals were asking about FM our lovely teacher said practice 15 minutes everyday for two weeks and you will have it mastered, I've yet to find the time to do it 15 minutes everyday but thought I'd pass it on.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks I'll try that
Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 PM

I find the quilting gloves very helpful when free motion quilting.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Auntie
I find the quilting gloves very helpful when free motion quilting.
Absolutely! They make all the difference in the world!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:23 PM

I have an old Bernina 830 from the 1960's and did free motion on that. But now I have a Bernina 440 Quilters ed. When I got it new, the store gave free lessons on how to use it. They still offer classes for free every month if you buy the machine from them. I just took a FM class from the store last Thurs on using the BSR. So, If you get a new machine, I think they could get you started. I also use that pink plastic slider that you put on top of the sewing bed that helps the quilt slip around easily. I'm not good yet at FM, but I am getting better with practice. Good luck.
Verna in So Cal
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM

Welcome from Sydney, Australia.
Colleen
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 AM

check out quilt as you go--method of working smaall quilts 12x12 quilting them --then joining with sashing strips--i am going to try that side on machine trick---enjoy this board-i am learning every day
Old 08-16-2010, 04:49 AM

I tried your turning the machine thing. I'm not sure I did it right, I have my machine set in my ez sew table so I had to turn the whole thing to the back leaving me at the end of the table. That looked like it would work but, I was way to far away I couldn't get adjusted. I have to be doing it wrong. Can you send me a picture of how you are set up? Or should I take it out of my table and use my other table? I want to just throw it out the door right now. The quilt that is.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by jennybean
I tried your turning the machine thing. I'm not sure I did it right, I have my machine set in my ez sew table so I had to turn the whole thing to the back leaving me at the end of the table. That looked like it would work but, I was way to far away I couldn't get adjusted. I have to be doing it wrong. Can you send me a picture of how you are set up? Or should I take it out of my table and use my other table? I want to just throw it out the door right now. The quilt that is.
I haven't tried this, but have a Juki on a frame and the idea is the same. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were too far away from the machine. I would try putting it on your other table. When I tried the Handi-Quilter in a table at the quilt show, you were comfortably close to the needle. Good luck.