Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Waving hello from Georgia >

Waving hello from Georgia

Waving hello from Georgia

Old 01-21-2014, 12:05 PM

Default Waving hello from Georgia

Long,long time lurker and finally decided enough of that! so I joined today. I have read this board for years, and while I quilt,my health kicks it into the corner and keeps it there too much, I am constantly reading and enjoying the many quilts/posts here. To tell the truth, this board has helped me stay focused on not giving into giving up so many days. So, thank you all for that. I grew up in the era of quilters gathering around to quilt on big frames that came down on high ceilings and the ladies would gather around to the quilting.The cotton batting had the seeds in it. My job at that very early age was to sit under the quilt to pick up the lost needles(now knowing it was to keep me out of the way, out of sight out of mind LOL) I truly didn't start quilting until the 90's while living overseas(hand quilting) I now have to quilt a style of my own hybrid stitch due to my wrist having to be reconstructed due to serious injury. Trust me, my mistakes are now even more perfectly there. However, who cares... they are perfect mistakes made with perfect love as all quilts are made. Right? I do have a JukiTL98Q but have only given into paralizing fear of machine quilting,and have not yet tried quilting with it. Yeah, I know...sigh, it is amazing what we can fear in our minds.Anywhooo, sorry this is rambling, and long. Hello again, and thanks to you all.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 PM

It is interesting to read about your quilting experience over the years. You have much more experience than I do. I've only been quilting for about a year and a half. I have never done any hand work and have no desire to. All my work is done on my machine. I've read stories about the Amish getting together to quilt and it sounds like you have had a similar experience. I love your "perfect mistakes". Now I have a name for mine!
Bob
Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I lurked for a bit before joining too.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM

Hello and a warm welcome from New Hampshire. It's nice to know you have found some inspiration here!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jitterbug View Post
I grew up in the era of quilters gathering around to quilt on big frames that came down on high ceilings and the ladies would gather around to the quilting.The cotton batting had the seeds in it.
This is exactly my first memory of quilting, as well. My grandmother had frames which were let down from the ceiling with her, her daughters, and her daughters-in-law around the frame quilting. Most of the quilts were utility quilts and stitches were different from person to person, but they did keep us warm in the wintertime! I have no notion of going back to the "good ol' days", but this is definitely a pleasant memory.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Hello, welcome from Nevada!
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 PM

Welcome from Texas
Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

Hi from Ohio!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 AM

Hello and welcome from Australia.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 AM

Hello and welcome from NC. Glad you've decided to join us.