Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
What thread to use? >

What thread to use?

What thread to use?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Hi! I am from the Arkansas Ozark Mountains. I, like you, am a beginner and I was confused by the same question. I was told at one LQS to use this waxed quilting thread. I told the lady that I was hand piecing it and she said that many of her ladies use that. So I bought it. Then when I went to another quilt shop to buy a dark color of thread, you should have seen the look on the lady's face! She said, "Oh, no, no! You don't use that to piece. You use cotton thread!" I shrugged and said ok I would take a spool. It was $7.00 and it breaks so easy it drives me crazy. If you find a better answer than what I got, let me know, would you?

Marilyn
Paintbrushbrown
Old 02-20-2010, 04:07 PM

I use good quality thread when piecing. You don't want to use the hand quilting thread for that because it is thicker and doesn't allow the fabric to lay down as well at the seams. I use hand quilting thread when actually doing the quilting process, joining the 3 layers, only when quilting by hand, not in the machine. Really messes up the tension. It is possible to use other thread, good quality, but if I have to use it I run it thru beeswax first. It lessens tangling and helps to make it stronger. Good luck and welcome to the board. Everyone is so very helpful.
Wendy B
Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Welcome Pamela! I use all purpose thread for piecing - both machine and applique by hand. For quilting I generally use hand quilting thread. But there are times I cannot find a certain color and will use cotton thread, coated in beeswax. I coat each thread before I quilting. As long as the threads are not too long, it will not fray and break. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM

WELCOME YOU ARE ABOUT 4 HOURS FROM ME I LIVE IN RICHMOND MISSOURI ABOUT 45 MINUTES FROM K.C. GLAD TO HAVE YOU JOIN