Why FW?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Welcome to the board. When you finally try your FW out you will love using it. My husband always asks why are you using that old machine when you have so much money tied up in the new ones. I love using mine.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 AM

thank you all for the great replies, I will check the machine out one of these days (when I have quiet time in my sewing room) I'm looking forward to it. I've been almost afraid to use it- and the case is starting to fall apart at the handle so we try not to move it around a lot. I've had it for almost 10 years and am just now figuring out what it is and what it can do thanks to this site ;)
Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Welcome. I have to google Featherweight now!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Drag it out and try to sew with it. If it doesn't run then get it fixed. Once you begin to sew heavy seams, you'll realize why we love them so much.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 PM

You have to love the old machines...they were made to last. My little princess just sounds sew nice! It purrs. It coos. I love to pet her, caress her. But most of all, I love to sew with her. If you are not in love with yours, I'll take her off your hands. My granddaughter sewed on mine while making her quilt. When we had some delicate sewing to do, she moved over to my new machine because she could slow down the stitching speed. After sewing with the FW it was easy for me to regulate the speed with just the foot pedal. I would give your little one a loving home and pay for the shipping! LOL!
BTW, welcome from Iowa!! :lol:
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM

great for taking to class and is a real work horse. It isn't finicky like the computer machines. Get it out and try it. Great for classes where all you want to do it STRAIGHT STITCH. Jan
Old 11-29-2010, 05:20 PM

Welcome From San Gabriel California.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM

welcome and I love my FW it is great when I want to go someplace to sew with friends also the best for paper piecing plus being an easy keeper you will love it
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by luvnquilt
thank you all for the great replies, I will check the machine out one of these days (when I have quiet time in my sewing room) I'm looking forward to it. I've been almost afraid to use it- and the case is starting to fall apart at the handle so we try not to move it around a lot. I've had it for almost 10 years and am just now figuring out what it is and what it can do thanks to this site ;)
You could probably find some one to fix the handle if it isn't too far gone. I saw a case in Sisters (OR) Quilters Affair a few years ago where they had peeled off the outer covering and under it was a sweet pine box, so the gal sanded it down, and varnished it and then painted all kinds of sewing objects all around the case. Thimbles, Rotary cutters, pin cushions, needles, seam rippers, etc. It was so cute and was sure getting a lot of attention. Jan
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM

after reading everyone's comments here i have been attacked by the FW bug. I WANT ONE! don't need it - just want it. sorta like a kid with a christmas catalog - welcome from Arkansas