Wrist Injuries

Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 PM

There are yoga classes expressly for the hands. Maybe you can find one in your area or find a video. I had a back injury a few years ago, yoga made me whole again. As a sideline, it helped my wrists and hands, too. This may not help now while you are in splints, but maybe later on as it gets better... I hope this helps- gosh I cannot imagine not being able to sew! :-(
Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Hello and welcome from Georgetown Texas! I have severe arthritis also. 2 weeks ago I started on Cymbalta. It was just released for arthritis pain. It is working wonderfully for me! I asked my doctor about it....ask yours :-D
Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 PM

Welcome from San Gabriel, California
Old 05-07-2011, 02:40 AM

I have the same thing but not as bad. I just "baby" my wrist and use it when I can. Strip piecing works better for me since I can hold the ruler down with my forearm (left wrist is the bad one and I'm right handed) and cut with my right. Nearly cut a triangular-shaped piece off left thumb once when I left it in the way---but that's another story. Left hand can guide OK on machine and then I quilt the tops in small amounts of time at once...again, trying not to stress my wrist.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

I have fibro and arthritis in my hands and wrists. using rice bags to warm them up first thing, gentle stretching exercises, really help to prevent additional pain and injury.
Frequent breaks, having my hand/arms at the proper level to the machine really helps too.
Ergonomical sewing tools make gripping the ripper, rotary cutter, and other items easier also.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Just a note to express my appreciation for all the tips and suggestions that have come to me concerning my disability. Quilters are the greatest! I'm keeping a record of all your aids and intend to refer to it until I have tried them all. Thank you all so very much.