Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 01-03-2014, 09:24 AM

I was having a hard time putting the blocks together too. I decided to not worry so much about the points matching and the chevrons. I started using my walking foot and it's a lot easier. Some points are still not matching and the chevrons are not matching up perfectly with the orange triangles but I'm just going with it. Seems like it looks pretty good when the blocks are put in rows. For this mystery quilt I had to put "perfectionalism" aside and just enjoy the experience!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM

Default 9 Blocks on Design Board

Scrappy for sure!
Attached Thumbnails 9-blocks-500x470-.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Sieg: Love your top. Reminds me of the best summer day ever.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Thank you Emma! I'm in love with it too. I'm putting blocks together and I switched to the walking foot and it is so much easier. I'm also still working on clue #5. I don't get so bored that way! Hugs! Debbie
Old 01-03-2014, 01:22 PM

grandmasieg, your top is going to be beautiful! If you don't mind my asking, did you use the same neutral in all your Clue 1 patches, and then mixed neutrals elsewhere?

Daffy
Old 01-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Did a few more blocks to get a better sense of how it's going to look and then added my possible center and this is what I have so far.
When I am close up it's kind of muddled but when I stand back it's a WOW to me. As I make the blocks I am confronted with all the boo-boo's but I try to adjust as I go LOL It won't be quilt show perfect but I am liking what it's coming out to be.
Still need to figure out a border and what to sash the center with so more thinking and sewing in store LOL
Thanks for showing off your work everyone...it's been such a pleasure to have a "group" working on this together.

Now, off the design wall and on to the baby quilt!
Attached Thumbnails img_20140103_142234.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I agree that the chevrons are the hardest. .
I learned my "point" lessons when I did Bonnie's Orca Bay Mystery Quilt. So, I made a paper piecing pattern for the chevrons and the Trirec blocks using EQ7. But it is taking me much longer to do the Trirecs and the chevron blocks and that is why I am so way behind.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by grandmasieg View Post
I was having a hard time putting the blocks together too. I decided to not worry so much about the points matching and the chevrons. I started using my walking foot and it's a lot easier. Some points are still not matching and the chevrons are not matching up perfectly with the orange triangles but I'm just going with it. Seems like it looks pretty good when the blocks are put in rows. For this mystery quilt I had to put "perfectionalism" aside and just enjoy the experience!
I'm not worrying about it either. Did anyone see the not-so-perfect piecing Bonnie pointed out on her quilt?

I'm going with the "Done is better than perfect" philosophy on this one.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Love the quilts shown so far!

Grandmasieg, those fabrics are gorgeous. I don't do much "bright," so didn't use Bonnie's colors, but yours is beautiful.

Cathinut - what a great idea! That is going to be one fabulous quilt, too. The blues really pull it all together.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:42 PM

PS - for those stressing over less than perfect points, remember that once it's quilted, many of those minor imperfections won't be seen at all. Bonnie's Cathedral Stars was the first quilt I used the TriRecs on, and it gave me FITS! I literally had to force myself to finish it. Now it is one of my favorite qiults, and I don't even see those points that got lopped off or float a bit unless I look for them.