Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice >

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

2013 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Celtic Solstice

Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
Tennessee Waltz...at least, that's what it reminds me of. But I think CS is prettier.

Daffy
Yes, Tennessee Waltz. The star block is 54-40 Or Fight block (see Tweety's photo above, the bottom left block). I am ready to hand quilt a Tennessee Waltz I made with a beautiful dark blue batik as the main fabric. The alternate blocks are snowball blocks in a Tennessee Waltz. I didn't even think about TW as we were cutting and assembling the parts of this mystery!!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I keep thinking about Caroline's crumb blocks
Caroline, what size are they?
I do, too, KalamaQuilts. Would you make them without a stabilizer? Or put them onto newspaper or phone books? In a workshop I took with Bonnie she said use phone books not newspaper, but I've successfully used newspaper for a string quilt before. I think the trick might be to make sure the newspaper is at least 3 weeks old so the newsprint isn't rubbing off on your fingers and lighter fabrics.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM

Lovely quilts ladies. I like the blue border and agree that is not the right green. Maybe a different green would work.

I have all the 54 - 40 or fight blocks made and have started piecing the other blocks. I only have 3 done but quite a few of the 3 pieces of one block together. The matching points on this one are even worse then the other block. I thought my skills were better and I could do one of Bonnie's mysteries. I still have some learning to do dealing with these small pieces and bias edges.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Yay!! Finally, my first complete block. I haven't finished all the clues, so I don't have enough to continue assembly the blocks, but I couldn't wait to see what one would look like. Yes, I did decide to use all the star points (blue striped fabric with red stars) together because I think I'll lose the star points if that fabric is mixed in with the other blue star points I cut. It's just such a strong fabric, especially with the stripes.

I'm happy for snow days, I'll have to stay at school longer this June, but I've enjoyed the extra time to quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]458269[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0801.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Oops! I see my mistake. Funny how it's so obvious in the picture but I don't notice it in person. On to reverse sewing.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM

Cindy: Glad you saw it, didn't want to be the bearer of bad news. The fabric you used for the stars is so dynamic! Are they all going to be that fabric? Love your colors, this is a quilt pattern that I have yet to see any combination I didn't think was just great.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:35 PM

Ain't it the truth? My delectable mountains was quilted before the JUMPS OUT AT YOU block entered my field of vision.

If I do the mystery next year I'm going to wait until my friend Judy puts her top together and then copy it
This is the current mystery
http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blog...implified.html

Thanks for the crumb block measurements Caroline.
I 'think' newsprint and phone book print are the same paper. I live in a papermill town. It is great for paper piecing string blocks on.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 AM

Oh Kalama, I like your friend's version of the quilt better than Bonnie's and I'm a huge Bonnie fan! I didn't use the tri rec border because my quilt was already so busy and I wanted to tone it down a bit with simple borders. I've been wondering what I should do with all the left overs, maybe this is the answer since the other pieces would be easy to put together... Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 AM

Emma, no, all the stars will not be from that blue. I'm working only from scraps. I might have had enough of it to make all the star points, but then again maybe not. Some of my other blues are much lighter so I won't be mixing these stripes into the same block.

KalamaQuilts, maybe I should take pics of all my blocks and post before I sew them together! Thanks for the measurement for the crumb blocks. I was watching archives of Bonnie's quiltcam and she was workiing on crumb strips, I think she was working about 2 1/2 X 6 1/2 or 8 1/2 and then sewing those strips together into blocks. Your friend's Simplified Solstice is stunning!!!

More quilt time today, yay!!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:31 AM

P.S. More quilt time today, yay!! And I turn 50 yrs young today, what better way to spend the day. My DH is out of town so we'll be celebrating tomorrow when he gets home.

I just went to Bonnie's quiltcam to watch another archived episode while I sew. Looks like she used the crumb squares as the center of star blocks. It's really cool. Tried to post the picture here but it won't allow me. But go back to Sept 2013 and you can see the picture. I love her quilts!! Now I know why I've been saving all of the teeniest tiniest scraps.