Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Another Drunkards Path Option >

Another Drunkards Path Option

Another Drunkards Path Option

Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM

i don't understand. if you applique the curve, why sew the curved seam?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:18 PM

I just cut out the black squares, then the curved piece which I glued to the square using Elmers' Washable School Glue. Stitched up all the straight seams then went back and satin stitched all the curves down. Real easy.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM

so, you don't cut that hole in the back? you just machine applique?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Thank you for the reply on how you did yours, love the pattern.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter
"I sew in the seams then go back and applique the curve. For me it is quicker and easier."

applique, would you have more information or a link on your method of doing the circles.
I have done that also, especially when I make a pillow or potholder. Not only easier but sturdier.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
so, you don't cut that hole in the back? you just machine applique?
No hole in the back. Straight seams stitched as usual, then just satin stitch the curves.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Virginia
Originally Posted by farmquilter
"I sew in the seams then go back and applique the curve. For me it is quicker and easier."

applique, would you have more information or a link on your method of doing the circles.
I have done that also, especially when I make a pillow or potholder. Not only easier but sturdier.
I have one other suggestion that you might like to try. Sometimes when you applique the circle it seems to not lay flat. I remedy that before I applique it to the square. I cut a piece of batting the same size as the circle, baste it or use Elmer's Glue to hold together, then place on square in the middle. I determine the middle of the square, I snip a tiny piece at the point. The enclosed is a picture of potholder ready for finishing the binding and putting the loop on.

I took the front part of the potholder. Found the center of my circle pattern & placed it over the snipped hole and drew a circle around the pattern. I, then placed the circle of batting inside the circle using Elmer's Glue, then placed the fabric circle on top of that. It is then ready for the stitching. If you don't want any other embellishment around the fabric circle, cur it slightly larger than the outline and turn over the edge. If you want embellishment as I did with my potholder, attach either to top or bottom of fabric piece. Pin all pieces on the square so everything is stable and won't slip. Use a straight stitch or decorative one, which ever you prefer to attach the circle. If my embellishment has a finished edge, I attach the circle to the pot holder first then use the decorative stitch to put that on. Sounds difficult, but actually is quite easy and so much fun. In fact, you can use any shape you want, doesn't have to be a circle. If you are making a Drunkard's Path quilt, just cut your block square, applique the the circle to it, finish the circle and your block is done.

If you are stitching a curve for whatever reason and are having a problem keeping it flat, run a basting thread around the circle so you can ease in the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114631.jpe  
Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Very interesting. I've also seen it done by appliqueing a circle in the middle and then cutting it into fourths.
That is a very interesting idea, but I have a question. What size of a square do you start out with. If it is a 12 inch square, when cut into fourth you would have 4-6 inch squares, Correct?

I like that idea.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 PM

[quote=Virginia]
Originally Posted by raptureready
Very interesting. I've also seen it done by appliqueing a circle in the middle and then cutting it into fourths.
I applique after doing the straight seams because (using the satin stitch) I don't want the extra bulk in the seam.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
I saw this on youtube. It might be in German, but in the background, you hear all sorts of different languages. Watch the entire thing - at the end, it all "comes together"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuH3-BuSdPo
I love your St I just lost mine in June. Gail