Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Anyone made Patches of Life quilt?

Anyone made Patches of Life quilt?

It's an old pattern brought back to life by Quilt in a Day. I bought the pattern and started it today. It's fast to put together. I'd love to see color combos of this quilt.

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...y.asp?i=197359
    I love my life!

Blog Entries
    that is a lovely quilt. not made it though.

mim
    Thanks -- I think I will do this -- I have lots of swap squares that I will use and some background fabric that I changed my mind about.

I don't have a clear idea what I want to make this summer -- I keep changing my mind and I feel at loose ends.

Mim
    Quote Originally Posted by
    It's an old pattern brought back to life by Quilt in a Day. I bought the pattern and started it today. It's fast to put together. I'd love to see color combos of this quilt.

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...y.asp?i=197359

This has got to be one of the nicest scrappy quilts I've seen.
    Lots of possibilities to switch it up ... and it would not need to be a planned scrappy.

I found this youtube for the pattern.
    There are several quilts shown at the start of the video with the pattern layout as well as showing some variations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmwaQ-Zee2A
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I was at Paducah in April when she had her show and this quilt was part of it. It was beautiful in person. There were a few color ways of it. I had the older pattern of this quilt, way before the rotary cutter was available. I bought the ruler to make the triangle in the square and it's a big help.
    I love my life!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    but irritating to need to buy special ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    but irritating to need to buy special ruler.
    No need if you choose not to ...
    ... either traditionally piece it,
    or you could make your own paper piecing pattern.
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I have the pattern but haven't tried it yet...EB has a good tute for this on one of her quilt in a day tutes.....

Blog Entries
    Your Tri-rec ruler should work fine, and a bloc-loc or any square ruler with a diagonal center line willbe its compliment. I would not buy her specialty rulers. As Alton Brown says about kitchen gadgets, "no uni-taskers allowed"

The QIAD rulers (two come in the package) do make it easier. I have the Tri Rec and Block Loc. I don't have a problem buying a specialty ruler for making a block. I may use it again and I may not. No big deal to me.

I love that pattern. It would be awesome to see in different colors. I would love to see yours when you finish. I can't start one for awhile yet. Got too many other things going. You really can't go wrong with one of Eleanors quilt patterns. She is great at explaining everything

Another one to go on the to do list.

Blog Entries
    That's it! that's the one I will do as a "leaders and enders" for the ## of scrappy 16 patches that I have made... out of 1 1/2" squares. It should work, as the blocks are 4x4"
    Yesterday, after I saw your post I went ahead and prepared my fabrics for some 1/2 square triangle. I printed out some template for some "triangle in a square" that I intend to paper piece, so no special ruler and no math involved....
    Thanks for this idea!

This pattern will be easy to personalize with patches of your choice. I think my next one will be 3 inch blocks using a four patch.
    I love my life!

Go to Quilterscache.com/S/Steeping Stones Block.html. The pattern makes a 16 inches block (templates or paper piecing) for the middle of quilt and the triangle in a square. Use half square triangles and nine patches for remainder of quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by quilting nurse View Post
    Go to Quilterscache.com/S/Steeping Stones Block.html. The pattern makes a 16 inches block (templates or paper piecing) for the middle of quilt and the triangle in a square. Use half square triangles and nine patches for remainder of quilt.

The pattern is an old classic and goes by many names. There are lots of variations of it.
    I love my life!

I have started making one, since you brought it our attention. My 2.5" squares runneth over, so I've made 50 9patch blocks so far (need 71). Now I'm pondering what color to use for the solid... or colors. Did not buy EB's pattern and I don't feel bad about that since the pattern has been around a long time before she revived it. It's easy without a pattern and can be adapted to any size square you want to start with.

Thank you for the idea!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My guild has a miniature quilt challenge this year. I think this pattern will be a good fit for a small quilt. Lots of design impact.
    I love my life!