back saver

Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 PM

While running thru a post about jar quilts I found myself down a rabbit hole and saw the picture in this link. (thats how bad I am here - post a link and I'm gone for hrs!) Now, the link is about basting a quilt, BUT - there are pictures of how this lady lifted her work table with those blocks you can buy to lift beds.

I've never thought about this, but what a great idea! If you have to bend over your workspace too much, due to your height, it just kills your back. I have to do this! sharet
Old 08-20-2011, 05:37 PM

I have a huge bench to work on for cutting and sewing it is just an 8+6 piece of laminated chipboard on 2 two door cupboards. ok for sewing but to low for cutting so I put some small paving blocks on top of the cupboards 2 high under the top and now it is perfect for both, I just use a slightly higher seat to sit on for the sewing. works really well for me, lots of leg room under the top and the cupboards can hold anything you like thankfully I have a big room for it all.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:57 PM
np3
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by litacats
I have a huge bench to work on for cutting and sewing it is just an 8+6 piece of laminated chipboard on 2 two door cupboards. ok for sewing but to low for cutting so I put some small paving blocks on top of the cupboards 2 high under the top and now it is perfect for both, I just use a slightly higher seat to sit on for the sewing. works really well for me, lots of leg room under the top and the cupboards can hold anything you like thankfully I have a big room for it all.
that's a good idea, too. I have limited room so I have to figure something out or I end up cutting on the floor - I have to take an aleve before I even start, sharet
Old 08-21-2011, 03:30 AM

I just have a regular WalMart, long table you know the white hard topped ones, and my DH cut me 4 - 4x4 the height I wanted and a little extra, then drilled holes in the center for the table legs. Works wonderful, and now I have extra storage room under the table for more bins, and no more back ache.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by arimuse
While running thru a post about jar quilts I found myself down a rabbit hole and saw the picture in this link. (thats how bad I am here - post a link and I'm gone for hrs!) Now, the link is about basting a quilt, BUT - there are pictures of how this lady lifted her work table with those blocks you can buy to lift beds.

I've never thought about this, but what a great idea! If you have to bend over your workspace too much, due to your height, it just kills your back. I have to do this! sharet
I have pvc pipe cut 10 in' and put end caps on them and put on each leg of a long white table. It can be cut to the height you need.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Camping Betty
Originally Posted by arimuse

I have pvc pipe cut 10 in' and put end caps on them and put on each leg of a long white table. It can be cut to the height you need.
this is a good idea, too. I need to get hubs to do something for a table for me. In the "bonus room" (I don't know if this is a SC thing - never heard of them before we moved here - its a huge space/room at the top of the stairs, hubs uses ours for his man cave) because hubs was an engineer we have a full drafting table and a huge map case. I can use either one to make designs or cut on, but they're both in his space. When I use them he's over my shoulder giving me "help", lol sharet
Old 08-21-2011, 06:51 AM

I worked in PACU and the orderly would tell me of things that the surgery deptment was throwing away. One day he came and asked if I would be interested in a stainsteel table use to place instruments on for the surgery nurse to hand to the Dr.'s It had a weld at one time on one of the legs . I said sure. I love the table because it is the right height for cutting and their is a second shelf that I store baskets with current projects. I just and thankful to him because my back doesn't ache any more when I cut my material. :lol:
Old 08-21-2011, 07:34 AM

The pvc works great. Easy fix, too
Old 08-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Great tips, thank you :D:D:D