Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Binding a Quilt, Ive never seen this way

Blog Entries
    thanks for posting the link for all of us
    ♥ Craftybear♥ Google Goddess Surfing Queen of Links ♥
    http://quiltingforbeginners.blogspot.com/
    http://quiltinglibraryworldwide.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I am a convert to Sharon Schambers glue basting. Perfect corners every time. I do like this way of ending however. I had forgot about this - I learned to end this way years ao. I like it.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Being somewhat self-taught, this is the way I put all the bindings on at first. Like Evie, I found the extra bulk at the join to be annoying, so now do a metered join and trim.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

This is the way I do mine....but I ladder-stitch the back. Binding is one of my favourite things.

Thanks for posting this tutorial, it is good and simple and also I had forgotten how to calculate the number of strips I need to cut for the binding, this tutorial also shows how to do the calculation.
    Anna from Oz

That's how I always join my strips for binding now. No worry if I cut the angle right, since I don't cut an angle anymore. This just works so much easier. I used to join the ends that way, but now sew the ends together with a bias seam instead.

This is the way I've always done it (for the few quilts I've made).
    Usually, I make one of those continuous strips --- Help me! what is it called? --- but would LOVE someone to tell me what the formula is when you don't need a full yard sewn and cut on the diagonal.
    I always end up with strips I don't need and wonder if I'll ever find a use for later.
    I saw it once somewhere and should have taken notes!

(Length x width) x 2 + ??? = ???

I like this way because the double fabric and the bias makes it easy to bind around uneven seams ( ! ) and makes it tight and wears well over time.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    WOW - looks much easier than using a binding tool and wrestling with the strips so you can sew a good diagonal seam at the end. I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

I've never seen it done like this. I've bookmarked the page and am going to try it with my next binding.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

I learned this way when I first started quilting, and found it to be the easiest way for me to bind my quilt.
    newly retired & enoying the good life, quilting.

Blog Entries
    I love that last idea! I always hated trying to match the two ends.!

wow ....a duh moment ! thats GREAT !!!

Blog Entries
    Wowwwwww, thanks so much. I always have such a time with corners that I end up rounding them off......not no more....I love it, and will try it on my new GGDs quilt in the making now.

Love, Jo Ann

Blog Entries
    That is a great site. I saw this on Sewing with Nancy the other day. This must be something new. I used this method on a small quilt, works really well.

Blog Entries
    Similar to the way I do mine but a lot neater. I bookmarked the page thank you for the link....
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    I still rather miter mine then sewing the rest of the binding on the quilt. Mitering before i start just means I have more hand sewing to do and then the chance of it coming apart are greater to me.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I used to tuck my ends that way, then learned to do the mitered ending and use the miter cutting ruler to make it easier. I like the way it gives it a completely finished connection instead of a loose fold where they are tucked.

this is the way I have been doing bindings for many years...what part is "new" to you.

Looks like a great tutorial for binding. Thanks for the site.

I've always done my bindings this way, too. I think I lift the corner fold a little more than the tutorial, to make sure I don't catch it when I start sewing again, and that way I am pretty sure to have a square corner. I miter my ends, though, even when I make placemats, even though that is a little difficult because I don't have lots of room to work with. It makes the binding all sewn, all perfect.
    "Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy!"

The only thing I saw different from how I learned is how much of a seam when attaching the binding to the quilt. She is using 1/3" and I learned to use 3/8".

Quote Originally Posted by sak658 View Post
    Now I see this.....I just bought the binding tool from Missouri quilt store.. haven't tried it yet but will on my next quilt...I was having to watch a video on how to finish off the bindiing everytime I got finished with a quilt..so I ordered the tool..I might try this way also and decide which I like better...the tool was on sale and they make it look so easy on their tutorials...thanks for the tip...
    I have used the Missouri quilt binding tool for several quilts now. I did have to watch the video for the first few times, but it does make a very smooth finish.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have seen it done this way, I think it is just a matter of preference. I think if it is in a quilt show, not sure how the judges or quilt police look at the binding, depends on how big the show is. Some judges can be rather pickey about how you finish you binding. I think this way is fine.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    I'm not understanding what's different??
    The difference I see is how she started the binding and ended it. Looks nice!
    quilting with my dogs

I learned this method from a youtube video, and it's easier than trying to sew the mitered seam at the end. I am not at my home computer, or I'd possibly be able to find the link.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast