Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt >

Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt

Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt

Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Why don't we use this thread, since the other one says "part 1" on it. This one just says Mystery Quilt. I think that makes more sense.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Why don't we use this thread, since the other one says "part 1" on it. This one just says Mystery Quilt. I think that makes more sense.
I agree, will post pics here.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM

So!
I have been a Bonnie Hunter admirer for quite a few years, and I thought I had it all figured out.
Well!
I just spent a large part of today working on just cutting out Part 2 - - not because it was difficult, but because I thought I would just skip the math, cut a rough estimate of how many strips I would need and right now, I have 306 pairs of squares waiting to be me marked and stitched, cut apart and then ironed. (I am very generous in estimating - - and, I HATED estimates when I was in school - - if there is a number, one ought to absolutely KNOW how much ...)
but, I digress!
Something I read in one of Bonnie's clues caused a light bulb to go on and I thought I would share what I think I understand about her "system".
She mentioned that if she picks up a strip, she cuts off what she needs, and then continues to cut pieces to feed into her scrap bins, but she never puts a strip back.
I think I finally got it, and started cutting my brown and pink PAIRS of pairs (which had also gone totally over my head), scrambling my pinks as I went along, cutting to the end of the strips (which is another reason I over cut pieces)
and, then I GOT IT!
When I got to the end of the strip, there was not a big enough piece for the chosen design, and so I trimmed it to one of the system sizes and the one thing I didn't have figured out was:
the containers to receive the sizes so I could separate them, but!
If the 15 minute challenge takes hold in my life, I will be making short work of the little pieces by stitching them together for a different kind of block for seed for another quilt.
And, my learning continues!<wave>
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM

Part 3 is posted. It is going to take me awhile to get this done, I think I will go back through my scraps again and see if there is more I can use up.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 AM

I got Part 3, and I am not going to use paper - - I am going to use old, thin fabric and/or sheets.
I won't have to rip out the paper once I have the squares covered <wave>
You are correct, though - - this could take some time! <wave>
Old 12-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by omak
I got Part 3, and I am not going to use paper - - I am going to use old, thin fabric and/or sheets.
I won't have to rip out the paper once I have the squares covered <wave>
You are correct, though - - this could take some time! <wave>
Omak, one problem doing this is that your string pieced squares will be "thicker" than all the other half-squared triangles etc. that don't have that extra backing layer of fabric. I just did something very similar...and it doesn't work out well in the final product if you have some blocks double thickness and some blocks not..do you understand what I mean?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 AM

I know exactly what you mean.
The quilt in my avatar is done as I intend to do this next one.
The black is single layer.
While the top is waiting to be quilted, you are correct, the extra thickness is quite noticeable. However, once the piece has been quilted to the batting and backing, there is no noticeable difference in how it holds together.
The one thing I have noticed is that I don't highloft batting, in fact, I can use a flannel sheet for the batting ...
I think that because the pieces we have done so far are so much smaller than the simple sashing between my blocks in the avatar the problem will be greatly reduced, though it really isn't a problem at 10.5" as in the avatar <wave>
Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Well this one is going to take a while! I've got 10 blocks done, 50 to go. Turns out that I'm not that big on neutrals. Had a hard time finding things and not as large of a variety as I would like. But I did finally get to use the chicken wire fabric that has been in my stash for a very long time! So what do you think? Too dark? I tried to limit the number of white on white fabrics but think I might throw a few more in the mix. This is the first time I'm doing this type of block so not really sure what to expect. My red, blue and green are are fairly dark so there will be a lot of contrast with these. Oh and I cut way too many strips. I'll be looking for another project in 2011 that needs these types of strips. I think I cut enough for more like 160 blocks. I just couldn't stop!!

http://suedaurio.blogspot.com/2010/12/rrcb-part-3.html
Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 PM

I think they look great. I'm going to use the Carol Doak foundation piecing paper I have, I think. it will remove easier and I won't want to throw them at a wall. Maybe I can get to them this weekend.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by s.daurio
Well this one is going to take a while! I've got 10 blocks done, 50 to go. Turns out that I'm not that big on neutrals. Had a hard time finding things and not as large of a variety as I would like. But I did finally get to use the chicken wire fabric that has been in my stash for a very long time! So what do you think? Too dark? I tried to limit the number of white on white fabrics but think I might throw a few more in the mix. This is the first time I'm doing this type of block so not really sure what to expect. My red, blue and green are are fairly dark so there will be a lot of contrast with these. Oh and I cut way too many strips. I'll be looking for another project in 2011 that needs these types of strips. I think I cut enough for more like 160 blocks. I just couldn't stop!!

http://suedaurio.blogspot.com/2010/12/rrcb-part-3.html
I think when it is all put together that you will find they are just fine! I've got the paper cut on mine, but dragging my feet on cutting the fabric. Got a sinus infection and don't have much energy!