Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Brother machine on clearance at WM >

Brother machine on clearance at WM

Brother machine on clearance at WM

Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Just alittle advise, buying a machine from places like wal-mart, if you aren't happy w/ it or have any problems you must ship it to the manufacturer not return to wal-mart. Yes talking from experience...I bought the brother sq9000, I believe that was the numbers and I keep getting this stupid error message that no matter what i do I can't seem to fix. This is now my second machine that I didn't by from a dealer, yes have a White embroidery machine that I bought off HSN years ago that just sitting here. Ya think I would learn but I am on a pretty tight budget so I keep trying .........
craftiladi, I have the sq9000 as well.
After reading the posts saying machines are made different for Wal-mart I was almost paranoid to use it. I believe I thought it wasn't going to perform properly before I took it out of the box. I had been using the EX660 and started breaking needles. A lot of needles. I damaged the EX660 bobbin case holder my J foot. So, I set the sq9000 up and sewed on a cotton fabric sandwich. Worked okay so I got into my happy rhythm (zipping across the sandwich, lifting the presser foot, pulling my thread out to snip, next seam across, etc.) In no time I popped the 75/11 that comes in it. !!!!! I had tears!!!!!!
There were members on this board who patted my shoulder, dried my tears and gave me the courage to try again.
There was not a d___ thing wrong with my machine but ME! 1. I was making the seam like I was in the Daytona 500.
I now sew at a slow or medium speed and give the machine time to do the work I am asking of it.
2. My EX660 does not ball the lead (top and bobbin) threads up if I start the seam without holding both treads against the face plate. The sq9000 does ball up into the fabric. This 'can' put enough pressure on the top and/or bobbin thread to bind.
When it binds, the top and bobbin threads tie in a knot. The bobbin thread gets pulled out of the bobbin thread guide, still tied in a knot with the top thread. The bobbin can't spin, the top thread continues to pull against the needle, snapping or bending the needle.
I know this now because I sewed very slow so I could watch the machine work. I was determined I would return it if I was unhappy with the way it performed.
3. I slowly sew off the last edge long enough to give me room to snip. I learned I can't pull it even the least bit before the needle stops or the same thing I described above will happpen. I think I will start using the leaders to begin and end with like I saw in a post on the board.
I have sewn as many as 10 bobbins of thread now (75/11 on cotton) with no problems. I may have other opportunities to learn down the road but I am presently very happy with my Walmart SQ9000.
If you would like, you could start a post on your problem in case we can help you problem solve. I am so glad I was able to keep mine. It is special to me because it was my happy mothers day sewing machine. A replacement for it just wouldn't have seemed like a gift anymore.
Good luck.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by estzines
I used to work for a Brother dealer and those machines at Wal-Mart sound like a great deal, however, we were unable to order feet for them including free motion and even feed two most needed in quilting. The shank of the machine is a very small difference in size. So I hope you didn.t purchase one for quilting. They will be fine for piecing
I have the same exact machine. I bought a generic walking foot (even feed foot) and a free motion embroidery foot and they both fit & works fine. I bought for my neice to learn on and she uses it all the time!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

thank you, just wish I had $$. God bless. Penny
Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 AM

I hit the clearance area at lunch again yesterday and it was marked down to $100. Maybe they'll be giving them away soon!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:45 PM

All around my small town; all the Wal-marts stopped selling fabric....SO why would I want to buy a machine there IF no fabric to go with it. I have expressed this to all the WM employees at each store.

However... a few years back; I DID purchase a machine from WM called 'American Quilter' by Simplicity. It sews like a dream, AND I got 12 to 15 different sewing feet to go with it, even a walking foot. It was only $139.00.
JoAnn's is the only place I can go now for any kind of fabric. No local quilt shops around unless 1 1/2 hour road trip. *sigh*
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 PM

I would buy a machine from anywhere fabric or not if it is a good machine with a good price! (-;