Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Clutter's Last Stand >

Clutter's Last Stand

Clutter's Last Stand

Old 05-27-2017, 03:30 AM

SO is a bit of a pack rat, the "you never know when you might need, wear, use it"type. I've been after him forever (it seems) to get rid of old shirts he no longer wears. He keeps saying he will but doesn't do it. So I told him that the next time he's gone for more than a couple of hours, I'm going to do it. He sort of got a pained expression and said OK.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 AM

I think I too need to read that book. I grew up with depression parents and unfortunately inherited their "keep everything" mentality. Plus I have NO place to store; no basement and anything in the attic is ruined from the TX heat. So it all goes in closets and plastic containers stacked and they are everywhere. SO I have an issue as to where to 'put' things! I wish we had a local Salvation Army.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I ended up with Grandma's china. I never used it as it can't go in the dishwasher. I kept it in a big hutch but got rid of the hutch and it was boxed up for years. I offered it to all the cousins, no takers. My girls didn't want it. I took the boxes to Salvation Army and haven't regretted it one bit because I never remember my Grandmother using it. She was the type that saved the good stuff and didn't use it. I found many unworn pretty nightgowns, new linens, and towels never used as they were being saved. It made me sad. Another thought: If she had made memories of using the china I may have wanted to use it too and then my girls would have wanted it.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:58 AM

I have to get this book!!. My mother always kept a clean house but then she had six daughters to help. And she also said if your bed is made, dishes washed the house is clean. My job was to keep the bathroom clean(ugh) I have very little clutter except on my dresser and my sewing room. Yeah, cleaning the sewing room takes hours, but moving fabric from on side of the room to another side is not really cleaning, is it? I am sure some members of my guild will appreciate some of my duplicates. A friend is teaching quilting to people with emotional issues and I am sure she will accept whatever fabric I no longer need.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Moving is a great way to get inspired to declutter.
Yes, it was! But I've still acquired more 'stuff' than needed since the move. But I'm getting better at keeping everything organized.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a book about decluttering by Peter Walsh to read first but I'll check that one out, too.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I have a book about decluttering by Peter Walsh to read first but I'll check that one out, too.
I have read some of Peter's books. From
what I gather here - same idea. We used to watch Clean Sweep and he would always have the people go through the mental exercise of why do I keep this. We still use that - had helped a lot.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:00 AM

zozoo and others, I haven't read any of his books, but when I read zozoo post I came to that conclusion ........did I have to continue to keep my moms typewriter to remember her? The grands had moved on to computers..........sorry mom.......
Old 05-29-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I don't mind - too much - the actual "cleaning" part -

It's getting all the stuff put away so I CAN clean that I mind.

That sounds like me.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

The hazard of decluttering!!! I have been delcuttering my sewing room all weekend and now I can't find my machine power cord. LOL I am not going to try to look for it any longer. I ordered a new one so the lost one will show up. Then I'll have a spare.

Of all places I found the exact one online at Walmart for half the price of the sewing parts shops online. Free shipping too. And I had Saving Catcher credit to pay for it. I don't feel annoyed I lost it now. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-29-2017 at 11:34 AM.