Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Clutter's Last Stand >

Clutter's Last Stand

Clutter's Last Stand

Old 06-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I got the book and read it. I highly recommend it to anyone that can't get rid of anything without feeling bad about it.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I got the book and read it. I highly recommend it to anyone that can't get rid of anything without feeling bad about it.
It is one of the very few books that I have read more than once.
It's good "bathroom reading" because the chapters are short.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:57 AM

I'm in a de-cluttering phase right now, after being in a packrat phase for my entire life. DH is similarly packratish, so it's been a challenge for both of us.

I knew things had to change when there was a big fire locally and I felt almost a little bit of envy for people whose homes burnt down, because they got to start fresh! Obviously that's foolish, but the fact that I entertained that thought for even a moment made me realize it was time to seriously purge a whole lot of "stuff".

Then we decided we'd move to another state, maybe as soon as a year or so from now. We intend to get rid of about 3/4ths of our belongings before we move! It's an ambitious goal but I think we can do it. We've already had the local charity shop send TWO trucks to haul stuff away! To be fair, about half of one load was large appliances after a kitchen remodel. But the rest was furniture and boxes of stuff and sacks of clothes!

Fabric and sewing supplies are NOT on the 'to be culled' list, however. I had to draw the line somewhere!
Old 07-03-2017, 07:08 AM

Don Aslett has written several books. I had never heard of him until we moved to Idaho. A few years ago, he opened The Museum of Clean' in Pocatello and so we went. It is a wonderful place with every kind of tool one can think of that has been used to clean over the centuries. I am trying to take his advice to heart and destash some of my 'dust-catchers' Have a way to go yet and so far, my fabric is NOT on the list. I, too have noticed that many of today's younger people, my children included, do not want the family 'heirlooms'. Those things are just not important to them.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:21 PM

There's an old saying that, "people use 20% of their stuff 80% of the time." It sure was true for me when I cleaned out my closet this spring.