Coffin Quilts?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by betlinsmom
i, too have read the book and yes it was a way to keep record and also an honored tradition. Did you also know people sometimes do "rubbings" of head stones to quilt into quilts? I could not do that!
Wow, never thought of doing rubbings for quilts.. I think I love the idea!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

rubbing is a very old way to keep info on head stones. alot of the older oes are impossible to read, there for that is the only way to keep track of the info on them.people usually use a good weight of vellum and a artst pencil, pastel or crayon
Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 PM

I've never heard of a coffin quilt before and I, too, thought it was one to put in the coffin with the deceased. My mom was a quilter and we used the last quilt that she finished as a table cloth on the memorial table where the guest book, pictures and photo albums were placed. When daddy got killed 5 months later we used the same quilt for his table. Mom had a total of 6 kids and 6 quilts when she died. We placed them in opaque tubs numbered them and each of us drew a number. I was fortunate enough to get what we now call the memorial quilt.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 AM

My DH's family doesn't have a 'coffin quilt', but when my MIL passed away, we (her daughters-in-law) wanted to honor her and start a tradition with a family funeral pall to drape over the casket. The center is an appliqued flower with 9 petals (9 children) and the center if the flower is machine-embroidered with the names of DH's parents. There is one other name on it...that of one of the grandchildren. It is a beautiful piece of remembrance.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by angieh1964
back in the day they were a little morbid when it came to death how about the death books they used to keep in families pictures of people after they died ooooo now THAT creeps me out!
Me too!!! My mom passed 6 years ago. While at the services my sister and I were approached by a woman (didn't know her). She asked us if we would like a lasting picture of her in the coffin. Ewwwww!!!!! I have enough pictures of her alive! Why would I want one of her dead! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: