Coffin Quilts?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM

Hi Stefanib123, I was born and raised in Letcher Co KY, and my Grandfather was a coffin maker in the early 1900's and my Grandmother made the coffin liners. She had a Coffin quilt but I only saw it once as a child. I'm very interested in finding out more about these pieces of our hertiage. I do still have a sun bonnet that Grandma made from left over coffin fabric. It's beautiful and morbid at the same time, it was made from her own Fathers' coffin liner. I am going to have to find those books. Thank you for this interesting topic.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:30 AM

Several years ago at the quilt show in Harrisburg, PA. there was a quilt that a lady made specifically to be placed on her coffin at her funeral. It was green and purple and black, I think, and it had a computer transfers of her and her family. I guess that comes unde "pre-planning", but it still gives me the creeps!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 AM

A pretty common occurence around here are quilts that are embroidered with the deceaseds name, and set up on an easel, like a flower display, kind of. They are displayed along with the flowers at the funeral.

These are made for the family, not for the coffin. There's a couple of ladies that do them, they have some already made up, and they just embroider what you want when the time comes. They look very nice they way they arrange them on the easels. They are a way of remembering the person passed on. These aren't ever used in the coffin or anything, though. They are usually just traditional quilts, such as churn dash, ohio stars, etc. with nice embroidery.

I love these, and have always purchased one for family members.

I found the book super cheap on Amazon, its from $3-7 on there. I can't wait to get it!

I wonder if there's an ebook version?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by HobbySue
Hi Stefanib123, I was born and raised in Letcher Co KY, and my Grandfather was a coffin maker in the early 1900's and my Grandmother made the coffin liners. She had a Coffin quilt but I only saw it once as a child. I'm very interested in finding out more about these pieces of our hertiage. I do still have a sun bonnet that Grandma made from left over coffin fabric. It's beautiful and morbid at the same time, it was made from her own Fathers' coffin liner. I am going to have to find those books. Thank you for this interesting topic.
Wow, that's very interesting. I, too, wish I had got more from my grandparents history before they passed on.

Do you know where the quilt is now?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 PM

I am a decendent of Devil Ance. Are you related to any. Also I'm from Pike County KY. Have not heard of the Coffin Quilt.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

i used to be a casket embroider, it was the best job i ever had, and i felt great about what i did. I know what i did made the families happy.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:43 PM

I have never heard about coffin quilts. And I am a decendent of Devil Ance Hatfield. It woulg be cool to learn more about the quilts. Also I am from Pike County KY.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM

There was an article and picture of a coffin quilt several years ago in either Fons & Porter or the Quilters Newsletter - can't remember which magazine! I found it interesting at the time I read the article.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I've never heard of a coffin quilt either. When I saw the thread title I thought it meant a quilt that went INTO a coffin. A long, narrow one. Is there such a thing as that too?

Going to have to look into the coffin quilts, always interested in quilt history.
A quilter I know in Canada is making a coffin quilt for her husband (he's still alive!), but it is to be placed on his coffin instead of flowers when he dies.

Personally, I like this idea, but since I want to be cremated, I'd like a memorial service with all the quilts I've made and given away to family members hung like a quilt show all around the church.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:09 PM

back in the day they were a little morbid when it came to death how about the death books they used to keep in families pictures of people after they died ooooo now THAT creeps me out!