Coffin Quilts?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I've never heard of a coffin quilt either. When I saw the thread title I thought it meant a quilt that went INTO a coffin. A long, narrow one. Is there such a thing as that too?

Going to have to look into the coffin quilts, always interested in quilt history.
LOL . . .must admit, I thought the same thing . . .though I'd be HARD pressed to part with one of mine in such a way :D
Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 AM

This is kinda creepy.....I have never heard of them..but i might get the book, definitely sounds kinda interesting.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 AM

This is quite interesting! I'd not heard of it either, but want to look into it a little more just for the sake of curiosity. It's also interesting when you think that the whole notion of death was treated much more matter-of-factly back then. It was just an accepted part of life (sorry, no other way of saying it!:), whereas today most of us run from any mention of it with the speed of lightning!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Right after I started quilting a lady died in town and she was a quilter. Instead of a casket spray of flowers she had one of her favorite quilts layed over the casket. This was something I have through of for years That I would like to have done at my service.
I'm not planning on going anytime soon but its something to tell my kids I want
Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM

My grandmother who died 35 years ago, told me all about the Hatfields and the McCoys. Her family the Fullers lived around the families and at one time time my Grandmothers parents had two wounded family members (one of each) staying at their homes. My GMP told the children not to tell the injuried families that they were taking care of each other. Feared that they would be killed. My GM told me about these quilts and she had helped in makeing them. My GM move from Kentucky to Va when she was 20 years old and she live to be 96. She would tell me all about the fighting families and how they would come to the Fullers for help. A small civil war.
I wished I had taped her stories, I never knew I had a living history book in 'Granny'. My Mother(her daughter) has alz. and she lives with me and my husband, she now does not know me(hard to swallow to know that your Mother will never know who you again).Thank God for His Grace, Gospel Music on the radio and this board. I have no one else but you FRIENDS. Please keep my in your thoughts.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM

This is so creepy cool, I love it! I am going to have to do my homework on these, and make one!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!! !! :shock:

it had to be said. :lol:
Old 07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I planned to be wrapped in quilt when the times comes! DD can cut a patch off that and start the family's coffin quilt. LOL.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:21 PM

I went to Barns and Noble to see if they had the book "Coffin Quilt" it was not in stock but I did order it. It only cost $6.95. We can compare notes after we read the book. I can't wait to get it. :mrgreen: :wink: :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 AM

There is another book..... Elizabeth Roseberry Mitchell's Graveyard Quilt An American Pioneer Saga by Linda Otto Lipsett. These are great quilts and rather rare. It is a way of grieving the dead.