"Colorcatcher"

Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 PM

Default "Colorcatcher"

I was at the grocery store today and needed the Colorcatchers that I usually get there.
Next to it, and $1 cheaper per box, was another brand.
the box says
Carbona Color Grabber with microfiber

I've done 4 loads and these work just like the Shout brand - I was worried,but thought it was worth a try.

I can't remember how many sheets are in the Shout box, but I'm pretty sure it's fewer than the 30 in this box. Also, like the Shout brand, I can reuse the ones that come out of the washer looking new, like they hadn't been used. The sheets seem to be the same size

Just wanted to share my experience.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I buy my Shout color catcher at Walmart. I don't trust the other brand that they sell there.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:52 PM

I've had an equally good experience with Carbona. I'd love to know the science behind the product.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I buy my Shout color catcher at Walmart. I don't trust the other brand that they sell there.
Yes, that's where I got them - I never saw them there before. So far, they have worked.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:48 PM

I recently washed a large quilt at the laundry-mat and put 4 color catchers in the wash. I was very worried that the colors would run. They didn't and the color catchers disappeared. I don't know what happened to them and neither did the attendant. I wanted to see if they had any color on them. Strange, huh.
Sue
Old 06-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the tip on this. I haven't seen them, but will be looking.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
They didn't and the color catchers disappeared. I don't know what happened to them and neither did the attendant. I wanted to see if they had any color on them. Strange, huh.
Sue
Depending on the model of the washing machine, it is possible for small pieces like the colour catchers (and small socks etc) to get sucked behind the rubber gasket and into the drainage system. I had a machine repair guy tell me this about my high efficiency front load washer. He says he's gone to service a machine and when he got the machine cabinet opened up, there were little socks stuck on the outside (out of sight and reach) of the drum. Apparently it can be a common occurrence.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:41 PM

I like the Carbona just as well as the Shout brand. Get the same results for less money. Tried one box and next time I bought two boxes. I was worried that at that price, they would either quit selling them or raise the price. I don't have the exact numbers right here, but I know there are quite a few more sheets per box and the price is lower. I use them most often when washing my clothes which I do more often than washing quilts or fabric, of course.

I have seen a recommendation to put the sheets into a lingerie bag so they won't get sucked into your machine's "innards". Haven't tried that, but I have found them in the outer ring of my frontloader. Don't know what that space is called but it does catch various odd items that end up in the wash.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Haven't seen the Carbona at the market I shop at, but will keep an eye out for them.

The instructions on the box of Shout does say to put the sheet in a mesh bag and place it into the machine first, before adding the laundry/fabric. I do this with lots of small items. (And the instructions for my front-loading washer does say to check the rubber gasket for those missing items.
)
Old 06-04-2016, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
I recently washed a large quilt at the laundry-mat and put 4 color catchers in the wash. I was very worried that the colors would run. They didn't and the color catchers disappeared. I don't know what happened to them and neither did the attendant. I wanted to see if they had any color on them. Strange, huh.
Sue
I always safety pin the CC in various places of the quilt when I wash them. I have had them just "stick" to the window in the front loaders at the laundry mat. This works well for me.