Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
FMQ on domestic >

FMQ on domestic

FMQ on domestic

Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 AM

I have done this twice. Both times when quilting a king size quilt. the first time I was seeing on my original Janome which had a small throat. This was when I had only been quilting for a year or two. I was in Hancock fabrics talking to the gal who was cutting batting for me (for the king quilt) and I was telling her what a challenge it was going to be to get the quilting done and she suggested this method. It was such an "light bulb went on" moment. I was able to successfuly get that beast quilted.

The second time was more recent when I made a new king size quilt to replace the first one. Now I quilt on a Janome with an 11 inch throat, so I definately had more room to work. probably could have just left the batting whole as I did a simple quilt a motif, but a I figured better safe than sorry.

Thank you for sharing the link. Such an amazing quilt and quilter. Loved hearing her story about the meaning behind her award winning quilt.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Ekuw....so glad to get someone's first hand knowledge on this technique. I have a quilt top with a lot of applique I have not quilted yet so I will be trying this out on this quilt. I know it's probably a bit more time consuming but it may be worth it in the long run. I don't mind spending more time for less frustration.

NZ & Cashsmom... I will look into the class and book. Thanks so much for info...
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Friday1961 View Post
This quilter's work -- mostly art quilts -- was on exhibit locally recently, and a friend and I attended. Her quilts are absolutely beautiful and impeccably made!
She is so talented. In interview, she shared she teaches Baltimore Album quilts. I have a pattern and kitted fabric to do a BA....wished she lived closer...lol..
Old 04-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I know it's probably a bit more time consuming but it may be worth it in the long run. I don't mind spending more time for less frustration.

NZ & Cashsmom... I will look into the class and book. Thanks so much for info...
That was exactly my thought. It probably did take me a bit more time, but lots less frustration. No trying to poke a huge quilt thru the small throat on the machine. It was much easier to FMQ that big quilt on my little machine.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

oh yes, Quilting in Sections was Marti Mitchell's book. i have one.