Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ on domestic

FMQ on domestic

I love watching the interviews of Best of Show designers. I always pick up a new technique or design idea from these brilliantly talented people. The attached link is a winner from a few years ago and her quilt is absolutely stunning and so personal. I would love to sit and sew with her...I just love her... Anywhoo...her approach and technique to FMQ'ing a large quilt on a domestic machine is ingenious and one I never heard of before..tho others may have. If you don't want to learn about her quilt and watch the whole thing, speed forward to the 7:41 mark where she talks about the quilting process. I am so gonna try this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xMo474kDQ0A
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    That's so logical! I'd never imagine it on my own - thanks for sharing!! What an *amazing* quilt she made!
    *this space for rent*

Power Poster
    Very interesting.

Wow! What a fabulous quilt! And the way she quilted it with the batting removed from each side is so smart!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-13-2019 at 02:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Annette in Utah

Very fascinating! Marti Michell has a Craftsy class (now Bluprint) and a book on this method too. I definitely want to try it myself!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
    Very fascinating! Marti Michell has a Craftsy class (now Bluprint) and a book on this method too. I definitely want to try it myself!
    Yes, she does. She talks about this technique. I love her Quilting in Sections book. I allowed me to FMQ a king sized quilt on my 20+ year old Bernina with a tiny throat space.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I love the story of her quilt, so many thoughts in making it and beautiful quilt.
    I bought Marti Michell's book and I do like cashs_mom now :king sized quilt, and my tiny throat space old sewing machine. A least, this way it is manageable!

That's a beautiful quilt and story. I've tried quilting with taking the batting out then hand stitching it back, to me, it was more of a hassle.

Fabulous quilt and beautiful story.

This quilter's work -- mostly art quilts -- was on exhibit locally recently, and a friend and I attended. Her quilts are absolutely beautiful and impeccably made!

I have done this twice. Both times when quilting a king size quilt. the first time I was seeing on my original Janome which had a small throat. This was when I had only been quilting for a year or two. I was in Hancock fabrics talking to the gal who was cutting batting for me (for the king quilt) and I was telling her what a challenge it was going to be to get the quilting done and she suggested this method. It was such an "light bulb went on" moment. I was able to successfuly get that beast quilted.

The second time was more recent when I made a new king size quilt to replace the first one. Now I quilt on a Janome with an 11 inch throat, so I definately had more room to work. probably could have just left the batting whole as I did a simple quilt a motif, but a I figured better safe than sorry.

Thank you for sharing the link. Such an amazing quilt and quilter. Loved hearing her story about the meaning behind her award winning quilt.

Ekuw....so glad to get someone's first hand knowledge on this technique. I have a quilt top with a lot of applique I have not quilted yet so I will be trying this out on this quilt. I know it's probably a bit more time consuming but it may be worth it in the long run. I don't mind spending more time for less frustration.

NZ & Cashsmom... I will look into the class and book. Thanks so much for info...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by Friday1961 View Post
    This quilter's work -- mostly art quilts -- was on exhibit locally recently, and a friend and I attended. Her quilts are absolutely beautiful and impeccably made!
    She is so talented. In interview, she shared she teaches Baltimore Album quilts. I have a pattern and kitted fabric to do a BA....wished she lived closer...lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Teen View Post
    I know it's probably a bit more time consuming but it may be worth it in the long run. I don't mind spending more time for less frustration.

NZ & Cashsmom... I will look into the class and book. Thanks so much for info...
    That was exactly my thought. It probably did take me a bit more time, but lots less frustration. No trying to poke a huge quilt thru the small throat on the machine. It was much easier to FMQ that big quilt on my little machine.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    oh yes, Quilting in Sections was Marti Mitchell's book. i have one.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman