Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
FMQ foot modification- any feedback on this Leah Day tip? >

FMQ foot modification- any feedback on this Leah Day tip?

FMQ foot modification- any feedback on this Leah Day tip?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM

Yes I do have problems with the tension of my bobbin thread when I fmq- that's why I am researching techniques.....
Originally Posted by fireworkslover View Post
I have a Viking 875 Quilt and have always had problems w/ fmq and the tension on the underside. It, for no reason I can understand will make a rat's nest on the underside, which I believe is caused by the upper thread. Does your machine ever do this? My dealer/repair shop always tells me, "Oh it jumped out of the tension." But when I look in there after this happens, the thread appears to be sitting in the correct place. Of course, it never does it for them when they test it. I re thread the top and sometimes that fixes it, sometimes not. I'm using Superior thread too, so it's not the thread causing it to happen.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
Some of you have already been very kind in advising me about my ongoing FMQ woes.

My continuing search for a solution brought me to a clip from Leah Day. I can't find it again but this is another clip from Leah with the same technique, without showing the machine working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APD6s7PwoqU

Oh! Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbNPgnP8r4

Is this the Holy Grail?!!!! Stopping the foot from hopping and setting the height with a rubber band?

Any voices of experience much appreciated. Please do share.....
I just ordered the foot generic foot from her shop yesterday. I'll try it out and let folks know if it works for me...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I have seen this before, I would not mess with my darning foot. I have quilted so many quilts I don't think I would benefit from her tip.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM

Hi, yes I tried it, and it helped but it takes time to get it to the correct height, but it works.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 PM

Interesting experiences there, thanks. Keep them coming!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM

I actually use my embroidery foot for FMQ. I was using my quilting foot that is open, buy it would get caught on the edges and other threads. The embroidery foot is a round circle and seems to work well.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover View Post
I have a Viking 875 Quilt and have always had problems w/ fmq and the tension on the underside.
It's possible that the thread is still in the tension discs but has jumped out of another part of the threading process. Not sure how old your machine is or if this information will in any way address your problem - but about two years ago Viking was having problems with thread jumping out of the uptake lever on some of their machines - the arm that goes up and down on top of the machine (after the thread passes thru the tension discs). the fix was to put on an adapter which held the thread in the correct place - if this was never done on your machine, you might check to see if it should have been done and if that could be part of your problem. If this is the problem, and if you are the original owner of the machine, the upgrade/fix should be free to you....but you'll have to work that out with the dealer. I'm sorry I can't remember which model this was done for.

also - one of the reasons for hopping is that the foot will hold the fabric down while the needle is coming up out of it, ensuring that the stitch is completed properly. It's especially important when quilting a sandwich with a fluffy batting which springs up when no pressure is on it. A floating foot (which I've never used) should be close enough to do this same thing, but far enough above the fabric to allow free movement of the sandwich.