Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Has anyone made these ornaments? >

Has anyone made these ornaments?

Has anyone made these ornaments?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:25 AM

That's surely what it must be Moonpi.... she definetely doesn't have the full copyright rights on the pattern itself! her website says she is only 30 or 31, that pattern has been around longer than she was a twinkle in her mother's eye!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:32 AM

The way it's worded, she is saying it's all hers.
But then again,,,,I could have read more into it.

I still think it's rediculous the prices she is asking.
THink I should make some and charge the same thing? I bet they'll stay on the table if I do. lol
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 AM

Here is another website that sells them http://www.hubbardsbasketcupboard.com/OtherItems.html

I have decided to go out and get some balls so I can make a few today. I will post pictures when I'm done!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by KellyPA
Here is another website that sells them http://www.hubbardsbasketcupboard.com/OtherItems.html

I have decided to go out and get some balls so I can make a few today. I will post pictures when I'm done!
Wow she is selling them for $20 too.... I wonder how she is doing with them? The first girl we talked of and her copyright issues seems to be doing very well and not able to keep up with the demand (thats if that is true, and she is doing other things) but I find it hard to believe people would buy them for that much!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 AM

Yes!!! In 1988 - My daughter(then 10) and I took an evening class at our local quilt shop and made these ornaments......with ribbons and all. You will be OK making them...go for it!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 AM

These are my humble opinions on the price of these.....

Sometimes we forget that not everyone can do what we do. My neighbor has purchased some pretty, but very easy to make ornaments at crafts for a good amount of money and when I asked her if she wanted me to teach her how to make the ornaments she said, she didn't want to learn and she would rather pay for them. So even though we would never pay $20 for these, doesn't mean that there aren't many out there that will. I'm willing to bet if you use the right fabrics, someone, even at a craft show will spend $20 on it. In fact I have spent years trying to find something I could make that would be inexpensive and easy to make and would sell for a good price....I think these women have finally found it! How often do we invest 10 hours into a project only have to someone say that will give us $25 for it. Crafting is a hard business. People want amazing hand-made things, but a fair price. These ornaments, however, look amazing and they look very time consuming. I would be interested to see how long they take to make. In the end $20 may end up being a fair price. Like everything something is worth only what someone will pay for it! So if they get buyers at $20, good for them! Hope you have a great craft show!!!! I'm sure we all want to hear what you charge for them and how many you sell! I wish you all the best!!!!!

Hugs!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by KellyPA
These are my humble opinions on the price of these.....

Sometimes we forget that not everyone can do what we do. My neighbor has purchased some pretty, but very easy to make ornaments at crafts for a good amount of money and when I asked her if she wanted me to teach her how to make the ornaments she said, she didn't want to learn and she would rather pay for them. So even though we would never pay $20 for these, doesn't mean that there aren't many out there that will. I'm willing to bet if you use the right fabrics, someone, even at a craft show will spend $20 on it. In fact I have spent years trying to find something I could make that would be inexpensive and easy to make and would sell for a good price....I think these women have finally found it! How often do we invest 10 hours into a project only have to someone say that will give us $25 for it. Crafting is a hard business. People want amazing hand-made things, but a fair price. These ornaments, however, look amazing and they look very time consuming. I would be interested to see how long they take to make. In the end $20 may end up being a fair price. Like everything something is worth only what someone will pay for it! So if they get buyers at $20, good for them! Hope you have a great craft show!!!! I'm sure we all want to hear what you charge for them and how many you sell! I wish you all the best!!!!!

Hugs!
Kelly you make some very valid points there.. You are right... to us it seems alot, but to many who don't do what we do they don't mind spending the $20 for a beautiful ornament.
I guess those of us that quilt and craft go to these fairs (I am a culprit of this) see something, look at the price and go OMG they are charging HOW much for this!! geez I can make this for cheaper!!!
Kelly you are very right.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM

I just made one of these. It's not completely finished because the ribbon I purchased isn't wide enough to cover the pins. The ball cost about $1, the pins were $2.85 (you need almost the entire box for one)....so the total so far is about $4, I used fabric I had here and I still need to get some ribbon, so we will round it to about $5 or $6 to make each ornament including fabric. It took me a hour and a half, so if I sold it for $20, I would make about $9.30 an hour after supplies. Minimum wage is $6.55 per hour in the US, so I think $9.30 for a handmade item isn't bad for someone to pay who can't make it for themselves. So if you sold them for $10, you would make $2.65 an hour. And for $15, you would make $6 an hour. Now, of course, these are all estimates....someone who is experienced could probably make these faster, there is also probably a cheaper place than AC Moore to get supplies. It was fun to make and I'm hoping to make a few more!

Hugs!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM

I read further and she said her mom showed her how to make these over 15 years ago from a very old pattern and she embelishes them so each is unique..................... So probably means exact copy or web site
Old 09-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Those have been around for years, I know I have made them before at least 5 to 10 years ago. If you use an egg shaped styrofoam and work fromone end they look like pinecones.