Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Hawaiian style applique >

Hawaiian style applique

Hawaiian style applique

Old 09-09-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm sure that one will take a couple of years minimum, but what the hey. I've got the fabric and have almost decided on patterns (I need six for the panels) which I've decided are going to be various leaves rather than flowers. I originally thought to make them all original but have fallen in love with a book Leslee loaned me on the subject "The Pillow to Patch Quilt Collection ... the Hawaiian Way" by Elizabeth Root, so I might just take some of the designs from that. Actually, I like the book so much I plan to get myself a copy of it as well as a couple others she wrote.

If I applied myself I could knock a panel out each month, but I do need time to play around with the other types of quilting and get some quilts out too.

Terrible to have plans on such a grand scale. :D
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM

"Hau'oli 'alani Puanani" works well. Now if I just can remember that...

I'll bring it in to work for you to peruse in person. :D
Old 09-09-2007, 10:25 PM

That's fantastic, Steve! You (& Leslie), should be proud!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 AM

I picked out patterns for the large one last night, all leaves, but vastly different. I chose three beginner patterns and three intermediate. It's the only way to learn...
Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 PM

Dear Friends,

I was delighted to hear about this board from a few members of my Hawaiian Quilting Club and to see that there are several of you who are interested in the beautiful art of Hawaiian quilting. I too have Hawaiian Heartstrings and love the traditions, culture and people of the Islands.
I saw that you have passed on a few links already and wanted to share mine with you as well if you are interested.

While living in Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii, I was tenderly taken under the wing of Kapuna (elders) there and taught this beloved art. In time I designed my own line of patterns, kits and patternbooks and sold them in Hawaii and distributed them in several locations on the Mainlnad. Then, unfortunately, I was sidelined for a period of time and I was unable to continue my little business of kits, patterns due to my husbands health, I also had published a quarterly Newsletter called The Aloha Kapa Hui O'Kumu Kalina. I am in the process of getting this all up and going again, and would love to invite you to join my Yahoo-Group. I added a link to a simple little site I set up about Kalina's Hawaiian Quilting which may give you a little more info about Hawaiian Quilting. I've listed several wonderful links there about Hawaiian quilters and culture that I think you will enjoy.

A Hui Hou,

Colleen "Kalina" Johnson

[email protected]

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kalinashawaiianquiltingclub

http://www.orgsites.com/ca/hawaiianheartstrings/
Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 PM

On the Antiques Road Show they had someone bring in an antique Hawaiian flag quilt, they said it would fetch about 25 grand. After working with this form of quilting, I thought that they underestimated it big time. Needless to say it was absolutely gorgeous. :!:
Old 09-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

Steve, I don't know about the Antiques Road Show, but I think your hawaiian applique is priceless :D
Old 09-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Steve, that is magnificent! WOW! You are very talented. You did an excellent job!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:17 PM

I need to get some leaves cut and start to appliqué the panels. It's a bit daunting but Hawaiian for me is the most relaxing; I guess it's all the hand stitching that makes it so. :wink:
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Received a couple of books and magazines I ordered from Elizabeth’s site. I’d forgotten how wonderful and unique they really are.