Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hawaiian style applique

For my friends who love Hawaiian quilting:
    http://www.quiltshawaii.com
    http://www.nvo.com/poakalani
    http://www.quilthawaiian.com

Boo
    Thank you, Leslee. I have been having fun checking out these sites!

I wish they had Hawaiian music to go along with them! I've made maybe 10 wall hanging sized quilts and lost track of the number of pillows. I don't know what got me hooked on these giant appliques. Maybe it was the first time I stitched a batik royal purple to a square of mottled lime green fabric. I knew I'd tossed every rule of the color wheel out the window, but somehow that pillow looked cool!

I wrote the previous message, but my name wasn't signed. I'm new at this. Nubby

Aloha, Nubby! I hope we can share thoughts and ideas here!

Hello,

Thank you Leslie! My husband and I went to Hawaii this last September- Our first time and I fell in love with the Hawaiian Quilts. I bought Hawaiian material and also a book on Hawaiian quilts but these sites are super. I will be really checking them out in the near future, in the mean time I have added them to my favorites!
    :D

I was lucky enough to live for several years in Hawaii. I go back to visit friends and family as often as possible. I love doing Hawaiian quilting. I've made pillows for all my family-it's very large-and some keiki quilts, too. I have a queen size that I need to get back to. Too many interruptions lately. I learned Hawaiian quilting while I lived there. If you get a chance to visit, be sure to check out the Bishop Museum. They have a wonderful collection of Hawaiian quilts. The Mission House also has several.

Boo
    Leslee, I ordered two patterns from Pacific Rim, I think.LOL Can't even remember who I ordered from. Anyway it's all your fault. I am gonna give this a try. :roll: Will wait till after the holidays, though. I will still be busy Christmas Eve, finishing something or another. :lol:

OK, Boo--I'll take the blame for this one! What size patterns, do you remember? Pillow size is an excellent start; they even work up easily in a fat quarter. The wall hangings are usually 45" square. You can buy a yard and a half of 45" fabric in a couple of great colors and cut both pieces to be square. (I use the rest of the applique color to make the binding.) :P

Boo
    Oh Leslee, if only I ordered a pillow. Nope it is a queen size breadfruit. I had heard that once you make a breadfruit quilt, you will be successful. Now who wouldn't want success in life? :lol: I do believe that a matching pillow is also on the order. :lol: I have a pattern cut out for a wallhanging that is so complicated, it never got basted. It is a strawberry also from the Pacific Rim, although I didn't see it online. It was purchased at a show a few years back. You may be interested to learn that I joined a twisted mystery in another forum. You send fabrics to the host who assigns them a number, then randomly sends your fabrics to another quilter. We have no idea who's fabric we are using but we make all decisions on what to do with the fabrics sent. I received a beautiful Hawiian quilt from a quilter from Hawaii. She chose to use only one of my sent fabrics as a border and used another fabric for the pineapple design. Needless to say, I was awestruck! She did a fantastic job and definately took me by surprise. Everyday I mentally send her good wishes, as I admire my gift. This is the reason I have become interested in attempting my own. I appreciate your tips, and will let you know when the pattern arrives and the fabrics I choose.

Twisted mystery quilts...wow! You did get very lucky having your fabric "go Hawaiian". I like working the smaller sizes 'cause I take 'em to work and stitch on free time, and I enjoy the comments I get from fellow workers. You've heard right about the Ulu breadfruit. I hope you've also read about the Menehune...if you do choose to do the queen-sized first, you might start wishing the little guys would magically show up and do the basting!!! :lol: Keep me informed of your progress!

Boo
    Leslee, my patterns just arrived!!! Okay, I did order the queen size Ula, as I said before. The other pattern is a 36" sq. Cyclamen, with a coordinating 21" block pattern. I chose that one because it didn't seem quite as complex. Would you go to the Pacific Rim site so you will know what I am talking about? I will not be working on this until after the holidays, so no rush. Maybe you and I could talk in chatroom sometime. I have scheduled Sundays from 3-5pm EST for now. In the future I will add more times. Hope to chat with you soon.

Okay, Boo, tell us more about this twisted mystery quilt thing. It sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe some of us could do that. What do you think?

Boo
    Norah, As the forum is quite young and the holidays quickly approaching, I think we may want to wait a bit before discussing swaps and such. Maybe we can discuss this after the new year gets going. At that time I would be willing to see if there is enough interest, if we have permission, and who would host an event.

:lol: Thanks for those links. I was taught Hawaiian quilting by a Hawaiian teacher on Maui. Have a large quilt in the midst of echo quilting. Had major hand surgery & it has taken me a long time to get back to this very intensive hand quilting. Nice to know that there are others on the mainland interested.
    Anne T

Leslee, I am busy trying my best to get my christmas quilt gift projects done, and am now much too busy at the web sites. I am with Boo, I think I will get a couple of patterns (small though) and try it out after the holidays. Thanks for the info!!!

Hi Leslee, I've got the appliqué about half done and decided finally that doing a small project was a good thing. All the trouble the small valleys and turns have caused has shown me that yes, though difficult, and a challenge, such an appliqué is not impossible.

I know you said that traditionally Breadfruit is the one to start with, but jumping in and cutting the design was fun. What I'd like to do is a few of these smaller projects and then try my hand at a larger one. I'm really looking forward to the echo quilting since the hand quilting was one of my favorite parts of my first quilt. I've still yet to read much about echo quilting but will get there when I do.

Thanks again for sharing, the flower is taking shape. Hummm... I still need to name the thing right? Do you know the Hawaiian name for "little orange flower that lifted my spirit?" I like that name cause that's just what it did.

Well OK, I’ve got the appliqué on and basting out, ready for the third basting and quilting. Yikes! The appliqué looks a bit funky, but I trust you Leslee when you said the quilting would hide many of the imperfections. The slipstitch slowly improved as I made my way around, the last leaf looked pretty darn good; the stitching is so tiny though, you’d think elves were involved. I suppose that’s a good thing and I hope working corners on such a small piece will ready me for larger projects. The one site mentioned going to larger works would seem easy after such a venture; coolest of beans says I.

I’m not sure weather or not to start cutting up flowers for the larger quilt is in order just yet. I figure to draft out the design. I’ve also got in mind and maybe do some paper cuttings since I’ll probably cut at least twenty to get the six I need. Will make them around three times larger than the one I just finished. If I lay them all out with the cloth to decide, which gets what color, and then take them in the order of difficulty to appliqué, that should help too. I’m really excited about this project.

Last night I had a dream about an elderly Hawaiian man, tanned and weathered, cutting out fabric. It was all pinned and he had some kind of hooked knife, thick and sharp pushing it through the many layers into a design. Such a strange thing to watch as it was unfolded into an amazing flower. He grinned at me and I awoke. Please tell me they never used knives to cut these puppies out. I image the dream food induced from the ham dinner and pineapple cheesecake. Aloha Oi.

Found another Hawaiian quilting site for you:

http://members.tripod.com/~Honu_Hale/index.html

Am basting the piece in preperation for the quilting and have found the perfect material to back the pillow. Cool, it's coming along great.

lin
    Your'e ready to quilt that already? Good for you. :thumbup: Can't wait to see the picture.

Spent the last couple hours quilting and have the pillow top almost done. I image two or three hours more work. All told about eight full hours quilting a small pillow, wow! Funny thing is, I'm having fun watching it unfold into a thing of beauty.

I'm unsure how far out to quilt. I'll need space to sew it to the pillow backing and am totally unsure how that works. Wait, you mean I actually get to learn something else? How cool it that!

I needed to post this before I turned it into a pillow. Man, that's a lot of stitchin!
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! Great stitchin. Awesome colors. Your buttons should be popping!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

lin
    That's just simply beautiful Steve. You amaze me. Well done, really good stitching!! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast