Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How to determine age of Antique Singer Sewing Machines >

How to determine age of Antique Singer Sewing Machines

How to determine age of Antique Singer Sewing Machines

Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM

Be careful tho...my Singer 9W doesn't "follow the rules". I was so excited to think that according to the serial number on the machine, that it was made in 1879. It wasn't.

The good folks at Needlebar.org got me straightened out on what I have. I have a beautiful 9W, made by Singer after they aquired the Wheeler & Wilson plant. The serial number on the machine is a W&W number and not a Singer number...my machine was made in 1912, which still excites me, especially after I saw Billy and one or two others mention that it's a sought after machine... :) (Not counting the fact that I just simply love the thing, no matter when or where she was made!)
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 PM

I feel so sad that I don't have a Singer! But my stepfather retired from Singer (Elizabeth, NJ) in the late 60's and had worked for Singer for about 40 years I think....he was a tool and die maker so he may have had a hand in many of these machines!!! My Mom didn't sew so she didn't have one to leave me....darn! But glad you are all enjoying them! :P
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by judi_lynne
I feel so sad that I don't have a Singer! But my stepfather retired from Singer (Elizabeth, NJ) in the late 60's and had worked for Singer for about 40 years I think....he was a tool and die maker so he may have had a hand in many of these machines!!! My Mom didn't sew so she didn't have one to leave me....darn! But glad you are all enjoying them! :P
Well, he probably made this one--my grandmother's.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11720.jpe  
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM

I rescued two antique Singer sewing macines from a basement in Bristol, Virginia this past weekend that were going to be given away to the man that was hired to clean out what was left in the house. A treadle model 31 that was manufactured in 1901 by the Singer Manufacturing Co. and the other one is the same model you have jumpin' judy which I don't know what that model is but the needle plate says the manufacturing date was 1910.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88219.jpe   attachment-88220.jpe  
Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Nice machines everyone...loving looking at the pictures of the old ones!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by SewOK
I rescued two antique Singer sewing macines from a basement in Bristol, Virginia this past weekend that were going to be given away to the man that was hired to clean out what was left in the house. A treadle model 31 that was manufactured in 1901 by the Singer Manufacturing Co. and the other one is the same model you have jumpin' judy which I don't know what that model is but the needle plate says the manufacturing date was 1910.
My grandmother's was mad3e in 1928 and still works. I don't use it because I only have one of those long bobbins and I'm not sure how to wind it!! Instead I put lots of miles on my 1950 Featherweight.