Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
If you like/don't like the jelly roll race quilts... >

If you like/don't like the jelly roll race quilts...

If you like/don't like the jelly roll race quilts...

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM

Here is a picture of something similar, another alternative. I like it a lot. Found it via pinterest from http://sampaguitaquilts.blogspot.com...1/growing.html
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by frusratedquilter40 View Post
I have done the jelly roll race quilt for my local quilt guild. But I like this version better too I will have to make one. Much more modern looking. Thank you for posting this link I am going to print off the instructions and make one!
Please post when you do, OK?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by tatavw01 View Post
thanks running to make one will post once it's done.
I can't wait to see it! What size does this make? I can't seem to find the size on the pattern (one of my all-time pet peeves... patterns that don't tell you the block sizes or the finished size... argh!).
Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 PM

Love, love, love it! Simple and the colors are sweet but not too light. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM

I'm not that crazy about these in general, but the one shown on the link looks much prettier on the little girl's bed than it did hanging up. Don't think I'd care to make one, as it just isn't interesting enough for me.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM

This is right up my ally! Thank you for posting it.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Here is a picture of something similar, another alternative. I like it a lot. Found it via pinterest from http://sampaguitaquilts.blogspot.com...1/growing.html

Oh, I love that one! Thanks for posting it! I had this variation in my "ideas" folder. I like the added squares.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]348898[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails jrr-variation-2.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 04:40 AM

I have a love hate retationship with the jelly roll race quilt. I like the idea of it - but hate the scrappy look of it. We talked about them at our last guild meeting. We decided we would do it and try to make them rainbow colored or in a solid color or at least coordinating colors to make them less scrappy. I think I'll make up one of these before the next meeting to show it off. I have a bunch of skull fabric that I want to make a quilt with for my youngest son. This would be a great way to use it Thanks for sharing the link!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
I have a love hate retationship with the jelly roll race quilt. I like the idea of it - but hate the scrappy look of it. We talked about them at our last guild meeting. We decided we would do it and try to make them rainbow colored or in a solid color or at least coordinating colors to make them less scrappy. I think I'll make up one of these before the next meeting to show it off. I have a bunch of skull fabric that I want to make a quilt with for my youngest son. This would be a great way to use it Thanks for sharing the link!
I've seen them done with a rainbow selection of batiks (for examples) & I think they look a little more planned that way. I'm willing to trade the scrappy nature of it (which normally would drive me crazy... not the scrappines but the lack of control) for the speed. I have the need to have several lap-sized quilts done ASAP, so this is a good deal for that.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:30 AM

I was at a quilt camp last week and someone showed several jelly roll race quilts ( they called them 1600 quilts because that is how long the original "string" is). Anyhow, they had appliqued things on top. One had very long stemmed flowers and the other had circles of various sizes. This added a lot of interest. At show and tell on the last day there was one with a sailboat on it and one with dragonflys scattered across the top. When it was asked how many had made 1600 quilts 29 (out of 54) raised their hands.