Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Interesting Info comparing Moda 45" and 108"

Blog Entries

Interesting Info comparing Moda 45" and 108"

Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Interesting that wide backings should always be washed before quilting. I usually pick light wide backing fabric and don’t wash them but I will if they are dark colours.

Blog Entries
    I work parttime at a LQS and one of the things I noticed with the Moda backings was the quality of the fabric...yes very silky..now I know why. Thanks for sharing. Since I always prewash...prewashing my backings are not an issue.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

One thing I disagree with is the article saying 60 thread count is good for quilting fabric. It's the low end of good (but not poor) as far a quilt fabric goes. Raveling a lot when cut is one indication of low thread count. The best quilt fabric has between 68 and 78 count. It shrinks less, sews better and lasts longer.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    I'm trying hard to use out of my stash. In that wonderful closet is a bolt of Avalon bleached 100% cotton. It feels stiff, even after I washed it with softner and a fabric sheet. I need some white for a project, but I am afraid to use this. It's 200 thread count. Any ideas?

Try soaking it in the washer with 1/2 cup vinegar

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I prefer wide back on the long arm---just seems to play nicer to me. and I routinely carry a bolt of 108" of Moda's bleached muslin--it's so soft and has a great hand. And while it's darn near impossible for wideback to come off the bolt straight of grain, this muslin comes pretty darn close! I don't pre-wash it but load on the frame and then to get out wrinkles I spray it with water and let dry overnight before loading a quilt--that seems to shrink it plenty. Color wideback I do wash.

Very informative thread. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I prefer wide back on the long arm---just seems to play nicer to me. and I routinely carry a bolt of 108" of Moda's bleached muslin--it's so soft and has a great hand. And while it's darn near impossible for wideback to come off the bolt straight of grain, this muslin comes pretty darn close! I don't pre-wash it but load on the frame and then to get out wrinkles I spray it with water and let dry overnight before loading a quilt--that seems to shrink it plenty. Color wideback I do wash.
    At the LQS where I work and does LA quilting, we tear the wide backing fabric instead of cutting...that insures the whole piece of fabric is on grain before you put it on the frame.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    At the LQS where I work and does LA quilting, we tear the wide backing fabric instead of cutting...that insures the whole piece of fabric is on grain before you put it on the frame.
    Me too--so much easier to get grain straight. I had a clerk at a Hancock's so me the "best" way to tear wideback (and it makes sense). She would take a snip at the fold and then slowly and carefully tear out both ways so that not pulling the fibers as much (less waste)