Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Jelly roll rug? >

Jelly roll rug?

Jelly roll rug?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
Actually it seems just like the coiled fabric bowls I have made in the past, just keeping it flat instead of tilting the roll so that it forms into a shape.
I made a set of coil fabric covered coasters yesterday and there is no reason the clothesline I used for the coil wouldn't make a great rug. I cut strips of 2" wide fabric, and sew the line in it like piping using a zipper foot. I trim the edge to 1/8" from the stitching line and then sew the strips together keeping the seam line on the inside of the shape. No raw edges show. So much easier and faster then wrapping fabric around the line.

Making a matching bowl with the leftover line today. Oh 56" of line makes a perfect size coaster.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I got the pattern for the rectangular one and I think maybe it's copyrighted and maybe that's why Jordan's had to take it down.
Bummer b/c I always have an easier time with visuals.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:19 PM

Mystery solved! Apparently the author of the video that they did asked that it be removed. But, they are planning their own in the near future with a free pattern..
Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Geri B- I started mine today. As I said it's rectangular. I watched a different video and she had great tips for making the coils. So between that and my pattern I'm all set.
But I hope to watch Jordan's. Thanks for your detective work
If I get it done I'll post a pic. It's really easy so far.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Geri B- I started mine today. As I said it's rectangular. I watched a different video and she had great tips for making the coils. So between that and my pattern I'm all set.
But I hope to watch Jordan's. Thanks for your detective work
If I get it done I'll post a pic. It's really easy so far.
Can you tell what video you watched?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Geri B- here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8xblarkuBg

But I didn't do it the way she does. I do the strips separately- a strip of fabric with the batting inside folded double. The ends meet in the middle then fold and stitch. Then you zigzag the coils together in a rectangle. Mine are coils. Let me take a pic for you. It's super easy!
But it's a very good tutorial.
The only thing I don't like about the rectangular one is that you have to bind it. But I haven't gotten there yet.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 07-06-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 AM

The tutorial that SusieQOH linked is a very good one or everything except telling how to smoothly go around the ends without getting a “bowl” instead of a rug. I liked Donna Jordan’s tutorial even though it is for a rectangle. I had saved Donna’s tutorial but when YouTube took that tutorial off, it also wiped it off my saved list.

The way Donna stitches the folds seems much better than the other tutorial (above). Donna sews the fold in the middle instead of the 1/8” inch from the edge. (And you don’t have to t-r-y to keep the 1/8” seam straight. :-)

Forgot to say I am planning to make the rectangle. It will fit in my planned space better and I will have no problem adding a binding to the ends.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 07-06-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Forgot......
Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 AM

Well that’s a bummer that her tutorial had to be taken down. A bit shortsighted on the part of the pattern maker as I would have bought a pattern that had a Donna Jordan video for support.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I made a set of coil fabric covered coasters yesterday and there is no reason the clothesline I used for the coil wouldn't make a great rug. I cut strips of 2" wide fabric, and sew the line in it like piping using a zipper foot. I trim the edge to 1/8" from the stitching line and then sew the strips together keeping the seam line on the inside of the shape. No raw edges show. So much easier and faster then wrapping fabric around the line.

Making a matching bowl with the leftover line today. Oh 56" of line makes a perfect size coaster.
The only real difference is the clothes line is round. These rugs are made with batting, making a flatter rug surface. Both are fun, easy and functional.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:22 AM

thanks for bring this up! I have one jellyroll (Kaufman), solids, which was a gift from Craftsy.
I've tried to give it away a couple of times, no one else wanted it either

So it is now in one big long strip. I cut scrap batting up in 2.5" strips, but am going back and recutting to 2"
so I won't have so much mushed in the center fold.

I've got the Beatles on Pandora and just getting ready to change out to the Denim needle
Attached Thumbnails jellyroll.jpg