Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Keepsake Quilting notice

Keepsake Quilting notice

Today I received an email from Keepsake Quilting that they are closing their retail store in Center Harbor, NJ at the end of Feb. Although they will still have a catalog and do online business, I hate to see the brick and mortar specialty shops disappearing. To me, there is nothing better than the sight, feel and promise of thousands of bolts of new fabric.

Blog Entries
    Oh my, I didn't know that. sad to hear. my friend in England insists on shopping at Mark's and Spencer store just to help it stay in business. probably won't make a difference in the long run. we older shoppers seem to have no say these days. internet is everywhere!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I did not know this. I don't like to see any brick and mortar quilt shop close. I am sure this is going to be disappointing to anyone living in the area. If there is any kind of closing sale, I would advise going in with some kind of organized list.

I received this same email today and am also so sorry they will be closing the stores. But the Keepsake catalogue is going strong plus I want to let you know about their warehouse down here in NC - Archdale to be exact near Raleigh. Yiu can go to: pineapple fabrics.com and sign up for their daily email which includes lots of great fabric bundles and yardages for terrific prices. They also open their warehouse approximately every two months for a 3-day weekend of shopping - which is coming up Dec. 5-7 next month. I haven’t been over to the warehouse sales - yet!! But I’ll get there sometime next year (we have a Trans Siberian concert that same weekend so I can’t go - darn!!). I have made quite a few purchases from the daily emails and I’ve love everything, especially the prices. They ship quickly and come wrapped so nicely that I have a few I haven’t opened yet!!! They have quite a few really neat ways of,packaging precuts - go to their website to check them out. I’ve purchased yardage for about $4.00 a yard at times. And, of course this is definitely quilt shop quality since they owned Keepsake. I’ve been to the NH shop twice but it’s been a long time and I’m not sure I’ll have a chance to get up there before the closing. Just wanted to let you know that even without a brick and mortar store, you can be sure to get great fabric, etc. through Keepsake catalogue and from the warehouse through their daily emails.

Thanks for the info and website!
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

Blog Entries
    It's the way things work sometimes and yes, sad to see the brick and mortars closing. Overhead really eats into profits and be sure to add in things like taxes and needing a CPA and possibly a lawyer. It's expensive. Let's hope the catalog and online sales keep it going for a good long time.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

!!!!! This is a huge loss to us New England quilters. There are no other LQS that compares to Keepsake. No, no, no...I have to touch the fabric before I buy, so no to online shopping.

All I can say is, now what? I am so sad.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-13-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I am going to center harbor tomorrow am. I was there a month ago and they had marked down a lot of things.
    Quilted Threads in Hennekar NH has nice fabric but you can't beat ME.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-13-2019 at 03:44 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Denise finally in Manchester NH

ME should have been KQ, sorry.
    Denise finally in Manchester NH

I have so many great memories of Keepsake from when I was a beginning quilter and new mom to the present day. The new owners had done such a great job of returning the business to its former glory. There were classes, demos and special events. When I would traveled through the area, it was always a place to stop and browse (seldom left empty handed). There was a great Sidewalk sale this summer. (I guess now I know why the deals were extra good). I really thought that KQ would be around for a long, long time. While I did buy from the catalog on occasion, shopping in person at the lovely shop was really more of a draw for me. It's sad to see it go.

Awful news, but thanks for sharing it. I agree that there's nothing like feeling the fabric and really seeing the color. Most of my stash is from KQ.

I wonder how hard Center Harbor tried to keep them, or if there was no hope. I would guess they were the reason the town was on the map.

sad hugs,
    charlotte

I made a side trip to the shop when I visited Boston. The town was lovely. The store was beautiful but the staff was very on guard of sorts. I got the impression of strained niceness as long as no one caused problems. Very odd. No one was allowed to browse without an employee being along. The employee with me apologized for it. That was before it was sold and resold. The original owners had it. I haven't been back and have never ordered anything from them since. I never figured it out.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    No one was allowed to browse without an employee being along. The employee with me apologized for it. That was before it was sold and resold. The original owners had it.
    Interesting. I was first there later, when the employees owned it, and it was great, but the second to last resale brought some of the behavior I think you experienced.

DH and I were there on a winter day, and there was only one other customer. The parking lot, clearly visible through multiple front windows, was, of course, nearly empty. His car was a very vibrant aqua that you could see from space, called "voodoo blue."

Since their lighting was (and is) horrible, we walked to the large, enclosed, entry porch, where bolts of fabrics were also displayed, conspicuously holding a bolt of fabric and some scraps I was trying to match. The person behind the cutting area all but leaped over the counter to accost us.

I mean really, would they not all have had time to copy our license plate if we carried our stolen bolt to the car (parked brightly and alone in the front row?) And then there was the extra time to mince down the slippery wooden ramp just to get to the car in one piece. It was insulting.

On a more crowded day, I might have mentioned it to an associate beforehand, but when the sales force greatly outnumbered the customers, it seemed so obvious as not to be necessary. Plus, that was also a fabric display area.

It took me awhile to go back, but by then, they were a small cog in a big machine and the workers were so unhappy and unhelpful, it was clear that major change would be needed to bring it back. Still, I did go occasionally, just to see and feel the fabric.

Since it was all arranged by color, there was no finding other fabrics in a given line,so I'd buy a little bit and then go home to find out what else was available online in a given group. No one working there seemed to recognize any lines at all and or want to look anything up in the computer.

i will miss them, but realistically, I am more missing what they were.

hugs,
    charlotte
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2019 at 03:14 AM. Reason: fix quote formatting

Yes it probably was during that time. Your experience was like the one I had. It ruined the visit for sure. I emailed the shop about the experience but of course never got a reply. If I was the new owner I'd change the name of it. Shake the past problems out and start new.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Just remember about pineapple fabrics.com - they own Keepsake Quilting and will continue with the catalogue. Their warehouse is located about 3 hours east of me in Archdale, NC near Raleigh. They have warehouse sales about every 2 months and have a daily email where you can get great deals - so get on their list. I’ve probably recommended Pineapple Quilts before so please excuse, but I am very, very happy with them.