Left Handed Antique Singer >

Left Handed Antique Singer

Left Handed Antique Singer

Old 10-13-2010, 07:17 PM
np3
Power Poster

Interesting!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 AM

Being the fact that I am left handed and was taught in the right handed world, I don't think I would be able to use a real left handed machine. Like they say, you can't teach an ole dog new tricks.
I have tried left handed shears, no luck, left handed cutters, no luck, left handed rulers, no luck, left handed ball gloves, no luck, and ever left handed golf clubs, no luck. Go figure.
Growing up in the late 50's and early 60's, it was considered out of place to be a lefty, and, everyone, including teachers, tried everything to get you to use the right hand. Nothing worked for me, I liked being the different one in class, so, I either learned to cope, or do without.
Still learning and still love being a true lefty.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:13 AM

Wow.I never heard of that before,but I am right handed,and I do think that left handed people should have the option of buying left handed machines today.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:32 AM

We had a girl in our 4-H club years ago who was having a terrible time controlling the speed of the machine. Just kept racing with it. I finally asked if she was left handed. She was so I moved the foot control to her left foot and she did fine. Kept that in mind with future speed racers. Sometimes that was the problem, sometimes not. People are left or right dominant foot as well as hand. May help someone else.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM

wow. I'm a leftie and do most of my cutting with my right hand, but I have to have the foot control with my left foot. That would be an awesome machine!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 AM

From one lefty to another YOU GO GIRL!! That is the way it was with me. I never even think of my sewing machine being either left or right I thought it was universal it doesn't thread any differently for me from one side to the other. Now for crochet or some hand stitches that is different but I found a way for it to work for me. I learned by watching "Righties" and then fixed it for me sometimes I would sit in front of the person but for some reason that just turned everything around backwards. I do everything left handed and consider myself UNIQUE. We put too many tags on things.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM

I learned to crochet from my Gram by sitting on the floor and copying her movement. I don't know if I could use a lefty sewing machine after only using "righties" all my life.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

well, I have to ask: amma, are you a lefty? I forget!
What an interesting machine. I'm a rightie, but my hubby and a brother, and FIL are all lefties.
DH is ambidextrous physically, but very one minded, mentally, lol! ;)
oh well, I guess I have enough varied opinions for both of us :lol:
Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm a leftie and I've had to learn how to do many things right-handed. I learned to use scissors for righties in kindergarten. And learned crochet from my MIL right-handed because I just couldn't get the hang of it and so it goes. Also, the pc mouse. It's just a matter of convenience I guess!