Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Love of Quilting

Love of Quilting

Does anybody know why Marianne Fons and daughter Mary are no longer on the PBS show on Saturday mornings?

have been happily divorced from the same guy for 39 years now! Yay!

You probably need to call the station.

The show is still on every week..but Marianne and Mary are replaced every week by "guest " hosts. I guess that was my question.Also
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-24-2017 at 05:54 AM.

I miss that show.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Their show is still on the air, they actually just started a new season. I personally don't like the guest host that they use but Marianne still does the tip portion of the show. I never thought I would say this but I would really like to see Liz and Marianne doing the show but since they are supposed to be retired and Liz lives in Texas it's probably never going to happen.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I read somewhere that the daughter might be pregnant. Maybe that's why she is off. But are you saying that Marianne has retired, too? I saw an interview with Liz some time ago. She won't be back. Just to guest once in a while. I am tired of the "guest hosts." The fun has gone out of it for me.

Liz retired and they sold the Fons & Porter company, including the name. Mary Ann is busy with family and the theater that she just renovated in Winterset Iowa.
    Jean in MI

I just realized I answered an old question from 2011, it appeared under the new items.
    Jean in MI

Quote Originally Posted by jeank View Post
    I just realized I answered an old question from 2011, it appeared under the new items.
    No you didn't...I just asked this question today.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
    I read somewhere that the daughter might be pregnant. Maybe that's why she is off. But are you saying that Marianne has retired, too? I saw an interview with Liz some time ago. She won't be back. Just to guest once in a while. I am tired of the "guest hosts." The fun has gone out of it for me.
    I follow the daughter, Mary Fons, on her blog. She isn't pregnant. She decided to go back to school and get her Masters in Fine Arts in creative writing. I enjoy her blog. I met her at a quilt show and she is really so nice, friendly, and approachable.
    Alyce

I just happened upon the show this afternoon. MaryAnn was on with a guest host and did most of the talking while the guest did the sewing. I think it was a rerun though. Since the show is only on PBS around here, it is hard to tell when it is from. And it is only hit and miss. It seems like I read last winter that the daughter has a health problem to deal with and also decided to go in a different direction. Even though I watch the show when I can, I honestly do not care for MaryAnn's approach. Her daughter seemed much nicer, when the mom let her talk.

Finally and Porter were bought out, though the company still uses the name.

I miss the mother-daughter duo...even better than when Liz was on. I hope to see reruns, but so far not so.

Our PBS is in its money making phase again. No telling what will show up when it is over. I don't mind the guest hosts and the guests. Never cared for Mary--she had a habit of correcting her mother. She seems to always be on "stage". Like Marianne doing the tips--in fact, the tips part is my favorite section.

I am able to view PBS shows: Saturday is the 2500 series; Sunday is the 2800 series. Both reruns.
    Carol

Our Dish has quit carrying our local PBS, so now I no longer get ANY of those type shows. Sometimes I can catch them out of Austin but they are on a different day and I never remember to check and they are on super early! But I do miss their shows.

Last year I got to meet Mary at Nancy Notions Weekend and I asked the question about her magazine Quilty which I loved. She had announced at the lecture that she would no longer be doing the show nor the show on QNNTV she was returning to college, she got accepted into this writing program that is very hard to get into, she was accepted. Her mom Marianne Fons retired, she still does online classes with craftonline. The new person that is going to be doing FonsandPorter with PBS is Sara Gallegos from machine applique quilting on QNNTV.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

The show is not the same but it's still a good show. I like the variety of guests . They all bring something different to the table. I still get great tips from this show. I would sure miss it if they took it off the air. Oh and a Canadian penny has the queen on the back. But the penny is hardly in circulation anymore. It will soon go the way of the dodo bird.

I learned a lot from the old f&p programs, but the ones with mom and daughter and now who ever she is just isn't the same. And the fact that no measurements, sizes are mentioned, but you are told to go to website for info....and that tells what book its in or what pattern to buy totally turns me of. Unlike EB or Jenny Doan, who share all info.

Ditto Geri B -- I am disappointed that F & P no longer have the measurements -- they want us to buy the magazine or the books. I enjoy EB, but most of what I see are re-runs so I watch a lot of Jenny. Sewing with Nancy is another favorite. I had heard that both EB and NZ had health issues, but I have not been able to find out how they are doing.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    Ditto Geri B -- I am disappointed that F & P no longer have the measurements -- they want us to buy the magazine or the books. I enjoy EB, but most of what I see are re-runs so I watch a lot of Jenny. Sewing with Nancy is another favorite. I had heard that both EB and NZ had health issues, but I have not been able to find out how they are doing.
    Who is EB and NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Helen6869;7852
    Who is EB and NZ?
    oh yeah, Eleanor Burns has had heart problems and Nancy Zieman had some type of circulation issue....not sure how they are doing now. Finally figured out the initials!

I really enjoyed Mary's series on YouTube called "Quilty". If you want a Mary Fons fix, its a quick and fun watch.

Eleanor Burns aka EB, fell last year on her birthday--near or on 4th of July and fractured her shin bone(I believe)- and had gone thru extensive therapy, and yes prior to that did have a heart problem too. If you go toYouTube you can watch recent videos of her various patterns and see how her health has improved.I think Nancy zeiman aka NZ, had a cancerous situation with her leg, but is progressing fine. I don't know if she has videos on YouTube, presuming so, everybody does!

Blog Entries
    I watched three girls on the show this morning. the only time you see Marianne Fon's is in the tips section at the end. they retired!
    NZ is Nancy's Notions in case you need that. and EB is Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast