Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
A lovely way of displaying and using a couple of treasured quilts >

A lovely way of displaying and using a couple of treasured quilts

A lovely way of displaying and using a couple of treasured quilts

Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by justducky65 View Post
Nice idea. We have one or two windows we hang a blanket in front of (after curtains are closed) to help keep the draft down in the coldest days of winter and they are not very pretty to look at. I may have to rethink that idea and make a window quilt that is more attractive. Hmmm, and maybe rig it to look like a roman shade that can be drawn up or down with a cord. The wheels are turning in my head now.... Thanks for posting this.
Just ducky, I love your thinking, I may rethink my window dressings for next winter, ummmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Love your "hide the ugly window" solution and I don't think there will be fade/damage problems seeing as the curtains will be a buffer. Your Sue "fix" is a wonderful idea....wandering about in Grandmother's Flower Garden....I remember reading an article about window quilts when I was living in Asia...It was either the Netherlands or Norway...anyway...they made quite puffy quilts and used them over big windows/doors, but hung like curtains with rings, clever and beautiful way to keep out the chill winds of winter.

Thanks for sharing your beauty! Happy quilting.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM

we recently took out a window in the front room or living room we still have the curtain hanging there and now there is also a quilt rack that is the same width of the window frame so I hung that there and put a lovely quilt on it.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Oh that Sun Bonnet Sue walking through the garden is such a sweet idea. I may add that to one of mine.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Lovely quilt! Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you may want to rethink hanging those quilts, to block sunlight. Sunlight will bleach out the colors, in very little time! You'd do better, to hang a sheet or something else, less valuable.
Sunlight not only fades the colors, it can cause a rapid breakdown of the fabric. My sister made that mistake with a light colored quilt, thinking it wouldn't fade, but when she washed it after a couple months in a sunny Texas window, it dissolved when she washed it. Sad.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
we recently took out a window in the front room or living room we still have the curtain hanging there and now there is also a quilt rack that is the same width of the window frame so I hung that there and put a lovely quilt on it.
It's a amazing how versatile quilts can be, I bet it looks lovely, have you a pic?

I spent 100 of £/$s on curtains for my lounge but has the main window is huge I couldn't afford really good ones, I keep on thinking about making quilt drapes!?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Neat idea, googling how to make a quilted roman shade brings up lots of sites, have fun!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:08 PM

I am seriously looking at making eyelet curtains for my bedroom and lounge, especially the lounge as they are so huge they would need the strength of a pole to hold them up.

I have thought for a number of years that quilts would make superb curtains as they are lined, thermal insulated pretty, and most of all home made