Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Magic Seam Folder from "Thimblelady"?

Magic Seam Folder from "Thimblelady"?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried Thimble Lady's "Magic Seam Folder" as a marking tool? I'm curious about it and wonder if anyone has had especially good or not good experiences with it.

https://www.thimblelady.com/product/magic-seam-folder/

Thanks!
    "All good things come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." --Norman Maclean

It looks to me to be a 'new & improved' version of a hera marker. Assuming you are talking hand quilting and/or applique. I'd have no clue regarding machine quilting as I don't do that. For the price I would be tempted to try it but I know shipping can be an issue with her products. I love her thimbles; not a particular fan of her quilting needles - I find them too bendy for my use.

Power Poster
    I think I would try a tiny crochet hook or similar first to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    It looks to me to be a 'new & improved' version of a hera marker. Assuming you are talking hand quilting and/or applique. I'd have no clue regarding machine quilting as I don't do that. For the price I would be tempted to try it but I know shipping can be an issue with her products. I love her thimbles; not a particular fan of her quilting needles - I find them too bendy for my use.
    That's what it seemed like to me too....
    "All good things come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." --Norman Maclean

Looks like a stiletto....which would probably work the same way.

Blog Entries
    Yoko Saito uses a hera marker for marking her appliques. Here's a video demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9UFMqj9cWc
    Last edited by Peckish; 01-24-2019 at 10:48 PM.

I haven't seen this one but I love my Hera marker. I've used it for years for hand quilting but may try it for machine quilting too.

I have a hera made from bone that my grandmother used. She said she got it from her aunt. I have no idea what kind of bone it is, maybe don't want to know. It is smooth as glass.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Thanks to your post with the link, I was able to view the object. To me it looks like a large hand or machine sewing needle mounted in a mechanical pencil, handy for a DIY type of person.

Seems to me a stiletto or wooden skewer would do the same thing and since I already have these will stick with what I am doing. Wooden tongue depressor also works for many tasks like opening seams to press. I love gadgets and rulers but it has to make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Yoko Saito uses a hera marker for marking her appliques. Here's a video demonstration:

She never did show what she would do with that piece sticking out at the peak of the roof.

I think a tongue depressor would not be sharp enough to do this. I have a "Wooden Iron" which is quite sharp at the tip, but I think this tool would do the best job.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries

Herta Marker for applique

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

I tried to bring up the video but only got an ad with another link for related books from Martindale. No video on marking applique.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Sewgood View Post
    Looks like a stiletto....which would probably work the same way.
    This is my thought exactly.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    She never did show what she would do with that piece sticking out at the peak of the roof.
    She tucks it under when she gets to that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    I tried to bring up the video but only got an ad with another link for related books from Martindale. No video on marking applique.
    Are you at the beginning of the video, or the end?

When I click the link, it goes directly into the tutorial. There is a promotion at the end of the video that shows some of Yoko's books and projects.

Blog Entries
    I would worry about it being too sharp and damaging the threads in the fabric.

I’m a bit nervous, too about that stilleto/needle thing but I did watch the Yoko Saito video and was blown away. I did a sort of show and tell last year about the Hera marker and how to use it for marking quilting lines without any type of marking tool. When I watched her video it hit me how easily edges would turn over without using templates, etc. I’m a needle turn appliqué and would like,to,show this to my little appliqué group - just running the Hera around a Mylar Template that has curves seems like a great idea.