Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Microwave-Bowl-Potholders-Improved Technique >

Microwave-Bowl-Potholders-Improved Technique

Microwave-Bowl-Potholders-Improved Technique

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM

Red face Warm & Natural

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
ok, that is my question...aren't these micro things as dangerous as the baked potato pouches of a few years ago?
I have used the same 2 microwave bowl covers made with regular Warm & Natural for the last 6 years and I have cooked potatoes with them - about 7 minutes and no fire. However, please note that they have been washed numerous times before I went beyond the 2-3 minutes at a time. Also, the microwave in my rv seems to heat differently - the covers were quite hot at 2 1/2 minutes so I have cut my time down to 2 minutes for heating veggies. I would say try different times depending on what you are doing - and most importantly - stay nearby when using them - just in case.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by cinjosie View Post
Beware when making microwave bowls or pot holders ---- there is cotton batting available at Joann Fabrics that is ALL cotton and intended for use in microwave projects. Warm and Natural has a scrim holding it together that is not cotton and could easily start on fire in a microwave.
I was not aware that JoAnn's carries 100% cotton batting for using in microwaves. What is the brand name on that?
I already have warm n' natural that is 100% cotton for using in microwaves.

My understanding of these bowl potholders is for protecting our hands when 'heating' something up, not cooking. I have some bowls that I use for a minute in the micro and man, they are hot-hot when you go to grab the bowl.

BTW, great discussion on this topic. We always want to be safe with gifts of love we make for others.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 AM

These are still on my bucket list. Thanks for another way to do them.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

To test batting I wanted to use, I cut a piece and stuck it in the microwave and set the time for 3 min. Some burned in about a min. Some melted, several never got warm. Different brands of the same type batting so be sure and check the batting yourself, don't rely on the contents.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:24 PM

I have never had a problem with them. I use them all the time. I love using them.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
To test batting I wanted to use, I cut a piece and stuck it in the microwave and set the time for 3 min. Some burned in about a min. Some melted, several never got warm. Different brands of the same type batting so be sure and check the batting yourself, don't rely on the contents.
Smart idea. LOL, guess I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks, Onebyone!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Can be. They are made for warming up things, not for cooking. The problem seems to be when people put them into the microwave for 5 -10 minutes to cook, not 2 minutes to warm something up, like soup. I use them to make instant oatmeal and/or soup all the time at 2 minutes.

Anything will catch fire it you heat it long enough.
Guess I've been doing it all wrong. I've been heating my food and then putting the bowl into the quilted holder. ,!!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Guess I've been doing it all wrong. I've been heating my food and then putting the bowl into the quilted holder. ,!!
Mermaid, this is what I do as well. I just don't feel comfortable using them any other way.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:21 AM

All I can say is "why didn't I think of that"! As an former garment maker, this make absolutely good sense. Did this when making wool jackets to reduce the bulk.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:00 AM

Using them after micro waving, like a bowl mug is probably a much safer idea.