Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Might be of interest to someone! >
  • Might be of interest to someone!

• Might be of interest to someone!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 AM

www.superiorthreads.com

WISE WORDS FROM MOTHER SUPERIOR.
    There is a fantastic new website created by Websites For Quilters that helps me find specific fabrics. FindMyFabric.com is an innovative fabric search engine that finds fabric and quilting supplies from hundreds of online quilt stores. You can search for products by either typing in words or by uploading a photo from a digital camera. If you use a photo, the search engine uses image recognition technology to find matching fabrics.
    Why is this so cool? Imagine you ran out of a specific fabric and need a little more to complete your quilt. However, you don't know the name of the manufacturer, collection, or designer of that print. Local quilt shops have run out of it or don't carry that line and you are pulling your hair out looking for it. Before you go bald and your family goes crazy living with a must-find-that-fabric quilter, try FindMyFabric.com. Take a picture of the fabric, upload it, and within seconds locate an online retailer that has the fabric in stock. I love it! Any store that sells fabric and quilting-related products online can submit their products free of charge to FindMyFabric.com.
    Old 10-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Wonderful!!!
    Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM

that is really cool. but also scary at the same time with the recognition software. think about it you can now scan a pic with a person on it and maybe find who they are. it is a little creepy to me, but really cool that we can do this kind of thing nowadays.
    Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

That image-recognition software sounds like a very good idea, in the case where you really don't know anything about the maker/collection/pattern number. If anyone tries this, I'm sure we would all love to hear how well it works. It might depend upon how good the pictures you - and the stores - submit.

Looks like this will ultimately draw the same stores that are part of www.quiltshops.com , as the behind-the-scenes info suggests that they will be supporting a product export format compatible with those stores (in the future).

It does say that it is free for stores to submit their info for now, while the website is in "beta", but after that it's going to be a 19-cent cost to the store, each time a shopper clicks on one of their fabrics. There's no info posted as to how long the "beta" (trial) period will last.
    Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

Sounds like it could be very helpful when looking for a specific fabric.
    Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks!
    Old 10-28-2010, 03:04 PM

I tried it with 2 different pictures of the same fabric. The 1st one came up with a picture of some yarn knitted & large paper clips :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    The second picture I submitted I got a better result, it came very close (but no cigar) :cry: :cry: :cry:
    I will try again later. I'll have to take some more pictures with different lighting. :) :) :) :)