Thread...

Old 10-23-2010, 05:44 PM

OK. I know this has been discussed in the past...but for the newbies like me...its helpful...I was having issues with my machine when using coats thread...never thought it was the thread until another friend said she had major issues bought it to be repaired and they told her to change the thread to a higher end like http://www.sulky.com/ she has had no problems since....I just bought all the same thread...yes it cost more but worth it.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:49 PM

I love the thread that Connecting Thread sells. Very good price. Check it out!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:57 PM

I use Coats all the time and I don't have any problems with it.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:18 PM
np3
Power Poster

Eaven Coats & Clark thread is not all alike. They have different threads and they are coming out with new lines. Part of the reason they are doing that is the problems experienced by customers with their older thread. I use it in my older machines. I cannot use it in my newer machines.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

I use Connecting Threads thread. Works well for me.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:25 AM

In an emergency on Sunday afternoon, I bought a spool of coats at WalMart... it continuely broke. I ended up waiting till Monday and going to the LQS. I have some older coats threat that I have for top stitching but if I am buying new, I stick with Metler or I really prefer Airfil but my LQS does not carry it so I buy it when either online or when I am at different shops.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

can't just blame coat&clark threads either... i have spent $17 for a cone of quilting thread at a quilt show to get it home and find no matter what i do i can not use this thread ... i have bought expensive threads in lqs and had problems...i have one machine that will use coats thread, but not superior thread...machines have their own (quirks) when i get one i find my machines wont accept sometimes i can still use them in the bobbins...and for hand work. but when ever i have any problem with stitch quality when sewing/quilting the first things i do are:
take the bobbin out and clean that area, replace bobbin, rethread machine. try again, still a problem, new needle...if it is a new needle then i know it's the thread, and as soon as i change the thread the problems go away,.. 9 times out of 10.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:52 AM

I too like the thread from connecting threads. It is reasonably priced.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM

"Always use good thread" is my motto. The last time I used cheap stuff was a mistake. I agreed to quilt a friend's quilt on the proviso that she bought the cotton...it kept breaking. I assumed that she would get good stuff because she is a seamstress.
However, I have plenty of Coate's stuff and it is fine. Unless the quality has gone down a lot lately, it sounds like it may have been a bit thick for the tension discs on your particular machine?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

The problem is there is so much fuzz that comes off the thread while using it everything gets covered with a huge amount of fuzz! The disks, and bobbin area are the worst areas, but even the foot and needle shant has it built up by the time you are done.