Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Minky Blanket Tutorial >

Minky Blanket Tutorial

Minky Blanket Tutorial

Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 AM

When Minky (Minkee - two spellings, same product) has been mentioned in posts some of you have asked about what it is and how difficult is it to sew with. Here is a tutorial that is a simple blanket (Minky and cotton sewn back to back and then turned and top-stitched) that should answer some of those questions.

http://icraftblog.blogspot.com/2009/...-tutorial.html

From experience in using Minky as backing fabric for three quilts, it is well worth the effort. The quilts were all long armed quilted and the long armer said they are easy to quilt. I did experience the slippery, slidey part of the Minky when putting the binding on the finished quilt. But, the quilts are superbly soft and cuddly.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 AM

Love this totorial I have some minky, but I was not sure if I could deal with it. This totorial is wonderful. I have book marked. Thank you for sharing. :thumbup:
Old 02-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:16 AM
Banned

I have found sewing around the edge stableizes it and makes it easier to work with.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by PWinston
When Minky (Minkee - two spellings, same product) has been mentioned in posts some of you have asked about what it is and how difficult is it to sew with. Here is a tutorial that is a simple blanket (Minky and cotton sewn back to back and then turned and top-stitched) that should answer some of those questions.

http://icraftblog.blogspot.com/2009/...-tutorial.html

From experience in using Minky as backing fabric for three quilts, it is well worth the effort. The quilts were all long armed quilted and the long armer said they are easy to quilt. I did experience the slippery, slidey part of the Minky when putting the binding on the finished quilt. But, the quilts are superbly soft and cuddly.
I have used Minkee on several throws too. It's been my experience though, that when you wash them, don't use fabric softener. It seems to mat the fibers on the longer Minkee types. But that's just me...
Old 02-18-2011, 10:12 AM

That might explain why my grandson's quilt is all matted on the back after multiple washings. I have backed many baby quilts with minkee and have given the quilts as gifts. I don't usually get to see the quilts again as they are in new homes (hopefully being loved on). But I recently saw my GS's quilt and was sad to see the state of the back on it. BTW, I do have a walking foot and don't have to use that many pins. I wonder if you could use good ol' school glue or a glue stick instead of all the pins.

Your tutorial was great!!! Good luck with your etsy store.

Echobluff said "I have used Minkee on several throws too. It's been my experience though, that when you wash them, don't use fabric softener. It seems to mat the fibers on the longer Minkee types. But that's just me..."
Old 02-18-2011, 11:57 AM

someone told me if you iron minky that has the little raised bumps , the bumps flatten out.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 PM

I use minky in a lot of projects. My tip to go with your very good turtorial is " when you stich the two fabrice together, put the minky on the bottom. This way the feed dogs will keep it fron puckering"