Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
New BOM 2011 "Fiesta" >

New BOM 2011 "Fiesta"

New BOM 2011 "Fiesta"

Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM

I think I might try this one also...Looks like a lot of work, but it is beautiful....
Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 AM

I have all the fabrics in the washer as I type this.

I've decided (pretty much) to do a lightweight fusible with a turn-under, and "invisible" monofilament stitching. I discovered today that if I cut the paper-backed fusible into 8.5 x 11 sheets I can run it thru my printer - meaning I don't have to trace all the templates, just print them out.

I hope to get started in the next couple days.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM

What a great idea for printing the templates on paper backed fusible. I have not tried it yet but I don't see why not. I was thinking of running freezer paper sheets (I have freezer paper sheets already in 8 1/2 X 11 sheets) but the fusible would be so much easier. I might go that way too.

My fabric is all washed now I have to iron and cut. Getting the fabric picked out, washed and ironed is the most time consumming part of the BOM... Well then again these blocks are very detailed. But we all sure will have some beautiful blocks and quilt. I still have some things to finish so I will be a little behind this first month.

How is everyone else doing? Do you all have your fabric? Hope we have more joining in with us. Should be fun and we can all help each other with questions.

Originally Posted by Dandish
I have all the fabrics in the washer as I type this.

I've decided (pretty much) to do a lightweight fusible with a turn-under, and "invisible" monofilament stitching. I discovered today that if I cut the paper-backed fusible into 8.5 x 11 sheets I can run it thru my printer - meaning I don't have to trace all the templates, just print them out.

I hope to get started in the next couple days.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM

I'm tempted to give this a try. I love doing machine applique.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
I'm tempted to give this a try. I love doing machine applique.
Welcome!

What is your favorite method for machine applique?

I've done some machine applique, fused with satin stitch or blanket stitch, but I'm going with a new technique for this one - "invisible" machine applique.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM

I want to do this too. I am waiting on my black and dark blue to come into my LQS, she ran out..... Have all the other colors . And I was thinking it probably wont take all month to do the block so will try to do a border block also then wont have them all to do at one time. Think that would work? Jo
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
What is your favorite method for machine applique?

I've done some machine applique, fused with satin stitch or blanket stitch, but I'm going with a new technique for this one - "invisible" machine applique.
What is this "invisible" machine applique? I've only straight stitched or zigzagged.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 AM

Well, I've never done it, but here's the method I wanted to try:

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...-applique.html

Unfortunately, I couldn't find RinsAway anywhere, the 2 JoAnn's around here don't carry it in any form (bolt or package).

I did a little test with my machine, and I think the most "invisible" stitch on mine IS a tiny zigzag (didn't like the blind hem on mine) and I'll do it with monofilament (black thread in bobbin). Planning not to wash the background fabric (did wash applique fabrics) so when washed the black will shrink a tiny bit and pull the stitches slightly, making them even more invisible. Instead of the RinsAway I'm going to use a lighweight paper backed fusible (as above, can run it through the printer so I don't have to trace!), fuse to fabric, cut out with a 1/8-1/4" turn-under, wet turn-under with liquid starch and fold/manipulate under until I'm satisifed and then press to dry, carefully remove paper from fusible (trying to distort the turn-under as little as possible, and fuse entire applique to background (there's plenty of fusible inside the turn-under allowance once turned), then do the stitching.

I did a small test piece and although I may need to create stiffer templates to manipulate the turn-under around, I think I'll be okay this way if I'm careful.

I really liked the idea of the RinsAway to avoid the stiffness of the fusible. I wanted a turned under edge because I didn't want to satin stitch all of it (too many color changes!) to avoid fraying and I wanted it to look more like hand applique. The lightweight fusible doesn't make it that stiff, so I'll live with it.

There is a freezer paper method to do this too, but then you have to cut through the background behind the applique to get the freezer paper out, and I didn't really want to that, either (doesn't the fabric fray along the cut eventually?).

Anyhow, it's all theoretical right now and until I get to actually doing it in the next few days it's the plan. ;) Plans (mine at least - lol) are always subject to change.

Glad to see others intrested in this!!

Yes, if/when there is enough of the border pattern avaiable, I think it's a great plan to start ahead on that because that seems like the most work of the whole quilt! Lots of work in this one, but worth it!

I'll try to get a pic of my fabrics up in the next day or 2, too.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Have you tried Lite Steam A Seam 2? That's what I've been using for portrait quilts and it's working very well. I like that I can just finger press it and it stays on, but is easily removable if needed. I just stick my fabric on it and then cut both at once and then peel the paper off and place the piece. All pieces can be placed and moved until it's time to press them on permanently before stitching.

I think I'll stick to a small zig zag as I like the look of the stitches and my time is very limited. But who knows, I haven't started doing anything yet!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Hi everyone,
I hope to have all my fabric by the end of the week. In the meantime I printed the templates out on heat n bond lite. I cut the heat n bond to 8.5x 11 and sent it through the printer. I was happily surprised at how easy it was. I did try to feed steam a seam first, but the printer didn't like that too much.
I am also trying out the invisible machine applique method using clear polyester thread on top with a zigzag stitch- we'll see how it goes as I've never done any type of applique!
-Diane