Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New Flying Geese Method

New Flying Geese Method

Have you seen this video? Has anyone else tried this yet?

It looks like a real time saver to me and I'll definitely be giving it a try today! I don't have the mat shown in the video, but will try using blue painters tape instead and see how it works out.

http://pamsclub.com/

Power Poster
    Thanks - that ruler/guide that is taped to the machine looks like it would be a valuable tool.

Very interesting............ great way of doing flying geese if you are doing lots of them............. thanks for sharing.
    So many new and great ways of doing old blocks.......

Banned
    Blog Entries
    that is SO not new...Pam Bono has been doing that for many years..and the Easy Angler II has been around just as long! She is using the blue tape to hold the EA in place!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    that is SO not new...Pam Bono has been doing that for many years..and the Easy Angler II has been around just as long! She is using the blue tape to hold the EA in place!
    Not everybody knows everything. I'm sure she's not the only one it's new to, I haven't known about it for that long. Thanks for sharing Helen S! Hugs and happy quilting!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

that is a different to the wat I've seen it done before. I'll have to give it try.
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I'm with you, Latrinka. I wanted to make a comment about Ms. Jaciqltznok, but I figured I might get removed from the Quilting Board. ;0)

Blog Entries
    The Angler shown in the video is available from Pam Bono and only costs about $5.00 I use mine all the time, its very useful for many things besides flying geese. I also agree with Naomi and Latrinka. Negative comments are not necessary.

I think you can find the angler at Nancy's Notions -- I remeber ordering one a while ago but I got too frustrated using it. The technique is certainly interesting. There are so many techniques out there -- it is nice to be reminded of some of them from time to time.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

This is quite a good method to use. I prefer the one seam method demonstrated by Ricky Tims on YouTube.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thank You for reminding me I have that ruler around here someplace. Never think to use it. Going on a treasure hunt to find it. I like Pam Bono and I also agree not everyone knows everything.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf
    http://thelastpiece.typepad.com/the_...utorial-1.html
    Above are two methods...no waste flying geese...I use this method all the time...don't cut of those corners. Love doing the 3-d as well with folded edges. Elearnor Burns also has her way. To each their own and the above are mine
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NaomiTX View Post
    I'm with you, Latrinka. I wanted to make a comment about Ms. Jaciqltznok, but I figured I might get removed from the Quilting Board. ;0)
    Me, too. I refer making POSITIVE comments. I've been quilting for many years, and I have the Angler 1. But I didn't know about the Angler 2, so this is new to me! Glad to know about it!
    Last edited by JoanneS; 05-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks, it looks like an easy way to make a lot of flying geese and the tool looks easy to use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
    Above are two methods...no waste flying geese...I use this method all the time...don't cut of those corners. Love doing the 3-d as well with folded edges. Elearnor Burns also has her way. To each their own and the above are mine
    I too prefer the method from patchpieces.com. Tried the Easy Angler II and as I mentioned in a previous post about it, they both are sitting in a drawer. Won't give the 2nd one as a gift to my sister as planned. One item I purchased that goes with patchpieces.com instructions is a 'quick quarter ruler'. Lay the ruler from one corner to the other, and draw a line on both sides of the outside of the ruler, end to end. I then sew on those lines. Then I cut directly down the center from corner to corner. Add the remaining square and repeat drawing the lines, sewing, and cutting down the center. Press the seams and then press open. Perfect every time.
    Never hurts to proof read and always question if it is negative or not. I just log off when people get too direct.

It is new to me. I have never tried flying geese before (been to scared) but will try it now. Ane jaciqltznok, I want to thank you or letting me know that it is an easy angler that she is using on the machine, cause I had no idea.
    Patimint

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
    These look easy too. Thanks. My sister lives in LaPlatte NM, you anywhere close to there????
    Patimint

Interesting. I haven't seen it before, but personally I like the Quilt In A Day flying geese ruler. There's virtually no waste, and it's fun to see how the geese come together almost like magic. It makes four identical geese at a time.
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

I LOVE this method. It gets the seams out of the way. You wouldn't think it would make that much difference by looking at it..but it does. =)

The reason I love quilting is because there are so many different ways to make it work. I've tried many different flying geese methods. Each of them work perfectly. It just depends on what your comfortable with. I figure than every technique I try just makes me a better quilter in the end because I learn something from it all. Practice with a Purpose.
    Last edited by RkayD; 05-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    Well, it was new to me, so thought I'd share with others who might not have seen it before.

Yes, you're right, looking at Pam Bono's 2009 youtube video after Googling her name...whoever Pam Bono is. And yes, the Easy Angler II has been around a long time, too! In fact, I've had one in my craft drawer for so long I can't remember WHEN I purchased it! lol I guess I haven't been quilting as long as you, so just didn't know as much as you do about it. Thanks for updating me!
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Interesting video. can't help but wonder why she does not press on her right side, so much more convenient. and
    direct comment is not negative, just someone's comment.