Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
A new treadle machine? >

A new treadle machine?

A new treadle machine?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
This model has been available for several years. When I looked into it (lots of power failures), it was just the head. You had to supply the treadle mechanism yourself.
The link I found said you'd need to provide the treadle base.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 AM

It's nice to see there are modern treadle machines available. It would be even better if the manufacturers also offered a treadle base to match the machines. I think they could sell more as a ready to go package. There are actually quite a few people who prefer treadle or hand crank machines. I'm still restoring my treadle so I haven't had the chance to try it for myself. I do know that I like the control of turning my machine by hand for fine work.
Rodney
Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 AM
Swap Hosts

Wow. I love it. The possibilities are enticing!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
It's nice to see there are modern treadle machines available. It would be even better if the manufacturers also offered a treadle base to match the machines...........
I think they do have the treadles, just that they are sold as separate parts in that if you have one already, you may not want to replace it.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM

Lehman's has carried this machine for years now. Here is a treadle cabinet to go with it. I'm not sure that price is for more than the head, though. If anyone finds out, I'd like to know. Allbrands.com also carries the head. The head, by the way, fits most standard treadle cabinets. I like the quality of the Janome.

http://non-electric.lehmans.com/sear...20Cabinet&rk=7

My 1906 Singer 127 treadle is showing it's age and the years of neglect it had before it met me. I am considering getting this head, which also does zig-zag stitching, for my treadle cabinet to replace the 127. I do use it from time to time, especially when the electricity is out.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Carrie in PA View Post
Now that is interesting. I would never hear the end of it if i had one of those. The joke around my house is that i am a "crazy prepper." I like to stock pile items when they are on sale and i do a lot of canning in the summer. I think old fashioned and electric free is awesome. I like the way it is worded, "true Do It Yourself ethic." Every time i get teased i will quote that.
Carrie, if there ever is a time when there is no electricity for an extended time, you will be the one laughing at them if you have this machine and your food supplies. I'd say go for it! I went without electricity and heat a week due to a bad storm several years ago, and that experience makes this machine look all the more attractive. I did use my Singer 127 treadle a lot during that time, and sewed by the light from the window.

I had been lobbying unsuccessfully for a wood cookstove (Grandma taught me to cook on hers) or at least a wood heat stove on which to do minimal cooking, and being in the cold all that time let me know I was right. Hubby doesn't think so, though. Hmmmmmm..... Any advice?

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-09-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM

How interesting.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Carrie, if there ever is a time when there is no electricity for an extended time, you will be the one laughing at them if you have this machine and your food supplies. I'd say go for it! I went without electricity and heat a week due to a bad storm several years ago, and that experience makes this machine look all the more attractive. I did use my Singer 127 treadle a lot during that time, and sewed by the light from the window.

I had been lobbying unsuccessfully for a wood cookstove (Grandma taught me to cook on hers) or at least a wood heat stove on which to do minimal cooking, and being in the cold all that time let me know I was right. Hubby doesn't think so, though. Hmmmmmm..... Any advice?

Cricket
I agree with getting a wood stove. I convinced a friend of mine that it should be on her list of must have items because of where she lives and realistic "apocalypse" scenarios. Back when government shut down, her mother was in a panic and insisted we all needed to buy guns. I am not against guns but in a situation of power outages and food shortages, a gun won't help. She now owns a generator.

I am in an apartment so a wood stove isn't an option but i would love one. I could easily adapt to a pioneer woman type life. I wouldn't be happy at first but i wouldn't be miserable either. I once lived in a house with a morning glory heatrola. No furnace. We had to load coal into it by hand every few hours and it almost always went out while we slept. I wouldn't mind going back to that. In the end it was less expensive than other forms of heat and it didn't require electricity of any kind. When there were blackouts from ice and rain, we were still warm. I couldn't cook on top of it but it was sure nice for drying laundry and making the bread rise.

If there's a massive power outage here, i have an old singer 31-19. Its mounted to a table with electric but i joke that i will make my youngest daughter stand there and turn the wheel for me since it doesn't have a hand crank
Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Janome have done modern treadles for sometime.

Not far from me are many Amish and Mennonite families.
I'm sure they are delighted that they have this modern option.
That was my thought - Amish quilters.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 AM

I love my old Singer treadle. Many of times I've sat in the candle light to finish a project during bad weather. And it is also good for your legs. I had to have in home physical therapy a few years ago and she recommended the treadle action. She was right. I was on my feet in half the time the Doc fore casted.