Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: New use for old rotary blades.

New use for old rotary blades.

I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Another gadget. This one is one I think for now I can live without. Cute idea though.

Power Poster
    ​Cute idea!

Blog Entries
    Cute but another gadget i would never use.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Oh, I use my Gypsy purple one all the time but I noticed the blade getting a little dull. It really saves wear and tear on my hands when I chain piece. When I use snips to cut the threads my hands take the brunt of it. Anything that saves repetitive action is a must have for me.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Anything that saves repetitive action is a must have for me.
    My PT told me to stop all repetitive action using my hands or regret it later. I showed her snipping chain pieced fabric pieces and she said No. I got the Gypsy cutter and she approved. No continuous scissor work at all. If there is a tool that will eliminate repetitive action then use it.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-13-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

OK - I thunk I really need to get me this one!!!! My friend has the Gypsy purple thing but I didn’t bite on that one - I just use my small nioppers. But thus is darn cute and a good use for old blades that still have life in them. I hate to throw away my blades so I have a rotary cutter just for paper. As an aside, back when my son (who is almost 40) was in school, he had to make a piñata. The thought of cutting all that tissue paper was not on my happy list, so I pulled out my paper rotary cutter and a long ruler and made quick work of those gazillion paper strips. Sticking them into the form was the long, yucky part.

This is actually a really quick way to cut apart your chain piecing. Saves time and miscuts over using scissors to cut them. Eleanor Burns separates her chain piecing this way.

I ordered one!
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 10-13-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

That does look like a hand saver. I don't do enough chain piecing and have a tendency to grab my scissors to cut things. I love gadgets and look at it as something to get that quilter as a novelty gift.

When I've chain pieced the last patch, I take the out and use the cutter at the side of my machine. It hasn't dulled yet.
    Singer Featherweight 221, Janome MC 4800, Janome Horizon 8900QCP Special Edition

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
    When I've chain pieced the last patch, I take the out and use the cutter at the side of my machine. It hasn't dulled yet.
    this is the way i do it too
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

The Crafty Quilter showed this and I need to get one!!! Just forgot when I read her post about a month ago.

Just ordered one, thanks Onebyone! You always find the best gadgets

Blog Entries
    I have one that is the same principle and it has gotten dull. I am ordering one. Thanks Onebyone!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I sharpen my blades at least twice. Once to be reused to cut fabrics and after they've been sharpened twice, they get used in my other rotary cutter for paper type items. I have all my cutters labeled so no mistake which one is for what. Once they get too dull to cut paper they get put into an old case the blades came in and then finally tossed once its filled with dull blades. So I basically get a good run for my blades.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I change blades at the first skip. It will only get worse so why bother waiting. Blades and machine needles carry the load so I will economize elsewhere. I didn't buy a pair of shoes I liked and could have bought this last weekend so that saved me a lot of money to buy blades. That's how I think. LOL

My son made me one from scrap wood and a bit of a branch. He hollowed out the branch section to fit the handle of my seam ripper. I put the seam ripper in the stand and cut apart my chains in no time. Name:  chain thread cutter.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  35.5 KB
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I use to use the seam ripper stuck in a spool of thread until I impaled my hand. It is an accident waiting to happen for me.

Blog Entries
    Cute idea if you do lots of chain piecing

Oh man...I just bought two of these a few weeks ago - at full price!!! But they are great. I have some that were on little blocks, but this one packs up nice for travel. Love them!

I bet I can get my husband to make me one. All I have to do is show him a picture of it and he can make it.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Great idea. I'm all about saving my hands and continuous use of scissors is something I'd like to eliminate. I'm going to order one as well. Thanks for sharing!

I saw these at a local quilt show vendor booth last week. I bought three of them. One for me and two for gifts. I went back to buy one more but was told they sold out in the first hour after the show opening. They were $14.99. I have used mine a lot this week as I was chain piecing four patches.